SOLVED Installed FreeNAS on new build, seemed to work fine. Turned off, and now won't boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChooChoo

Cadet
Hi, I am new to FreeNAS and I completed my first FreeNAS build the other day. Supermicro X10SLL-F mobo, pentium G3258, and Samsung ECC Supermicro compatible ram (M391B1G73QH0-YK0).

But the main problem is: when I install FreeNAS it will work fine, but as soon as the system is shut down (not just rebooted) it will not boot from that drive anymore (tried multiple USB drives). It sometimes gets into GRUB, sometimes freezes, and sometimes just reboots right away.
I also get some beep codes that seem to change but when I can recognize them it seems like the 5 beep no RAM code but I am able to get into BIOS setup anyway and it shows all the RAM there.
After a few tries I noticed that it was putting out a PXE-E05 error when going into BIOS Setup or anytime it is trying to boot, but it seems like that error shouldn’t be related.

The ram was tested using memtest86+, the cpu came out of a working system, and both usb sticks have functioned independently as USB sticks as well.
One suggestion was to install FreeNAS in UEFI mode not BIOS. I couldn't get UEFI mode to work at all.
If anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does the IPMI log have anything of interest?

Inxsible

Guru
Check your BIOS settings. Both my boards (Tyan S5533 & Supermicro X9SCL-F) on reboot switch to the SATA0 disk as the primary boot disk in spite of choosing USB boot and saving the settings. The PXE error that you are getting tells me that BIOS is trying to boot from PXE instead of USB first.
Do you get a message saying "This is a FreeNAS data disk. System cannot be booted" or at least along those lines? I can't remember the exact message at the moment. If so, you have 2 options after going into the BIOS:
  1. Change your boot order to USB first and then instead of just "Save and Exit", save it as "Save User Defaults" and then do a "Save and Exit"
  2. Disable every other boot option, except the USB

Hope that helps.

ChooChoo

Cadet
I apologize for not replying to Ericloewe and Inxsible as I didn't get an email. I was trying to see what rule I missed or if there was anything else I could add to reply to BigDave.
The log file had nothing interesting as I remember.
I found the solution though:
When I installed in UEFI mode I had to boot the USB drive from a different boot option then when it was installed in BIOS mode. The UEFI mode was a different class (?) of boot options and I had deleted all other boot options, so the UEFI one didn't show up. The BIOS option was a removable usb hard drive and UEFI was different (don't remember).
Probably a really noob mistake.
If someone can tell me how I could have explained it better or what rules I missed I would appreciate as I have other problems that I would love to get some help on later.

Status
Not open for further replies.