Installation On New USB Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simmers1974

Dabbler
Hi guys i want to install my setup onto a new stick but unsure how this is done. Do i save config in the gui, install freenas to new stick and then upload config and all should be like it was on my old stick.

gpsguy

Yep.

Consider installing FreeNAS on a pair of matched flash drives.

Simmers1974

Dabbler
What would be the benefit, sorry but i'm still a novice with freenas. I've had it installed for over a year but never really messed with it.

gpsguy

Protection against a failed boot device.

You should maintain backups of your configuration, but this is cheap insurance. If you have a spare SATA port, you might want to use a small SSD instead of flash drives. Some users have bad luck with flash drives.

Simmers1974

Dabbler
Ok so i installed freenas 11.0 on my new sticks and uploaded my config and restarted and everything went well.

I have these warnings but not sure what they mean, help would be great on these.

Untitled.jpg

gpsguy

For the first message, you might try this - https://support.ixsystems.com/index...-address-could-not-be-bind-to--using-wildcard

For messages 2-4, read this section of the docs - http://doc.freenas.org/11/install.html#upgrading-a-zfs-pool

FreeNAS 11 introduced a couple of new feature flags (ones you probably wouldn't use). To take advantage of them, you'd need to upgrade your pool.

Were you running, 9.10.x before? And, then upgraded to 11? If you don't upgrade your pool, you can roll back to 9.10, if need be. If you upgrade your pool, you won't be able to roll back. On an upgrade, I'd suggest one wait at least a month or two, before upgrading your pool, just in case you need to roll back to the old version for some reason.

BTW, Google and the FreeNAS docs can be your friends :smile:

Simmers1974

Dabbler
Yes i was running 9.10.2, i saved my config then did a new freenas install on a new stick and then uploaded my config so not sure if i could roll back anyway.

Last edited:

Evertb1

Guru
Yes i was running 9.10.2, i saved my config then did a new freenas install on a new stick and then uploaded my config so not sure if i could roll back anyway.
As long as you keep a copy of your last 9.10.2 config you can always reinstall 9.10.2 and upload the config. As long as you don't upgrade your pool.

gpsguy

Yes, you could shutdown, replace your flash drive with the old one and boot up with 9.10.2.

On occasion, users run into issues where "it used to work" before I upgraded and "now it doesn't" after they upgraded. If that's the case (and you haven't upgraded the pool), you can roll back to an older version and re-test the issue. If you upgrade the pool, you'll have to live with the current version and hope for a fix.

FreeNAS 11.0 was originally going to be called 9.10.3, back before the Corral snafu. Generally a switch from 9.10.2 to 9.10.3 wouldn't be considered major. But, given the change of the underlying FreeBSD version from 10.3 to 11.0, iXsystem decided to go back to the old naming scheme. I think the general consensus is that the upgrade from 9.10.x to 11.0 was uneventful. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd wait a minimum of a month or two before upgrading the pool.

i saved my config then did a new freenas install on a new stick and then uploaded my config so not sure if i could roll back anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.