Can I infuse old config backup in fresh usb install stick?

Vincent Jansen

Explorer
Hello,

I am trying to rectify a working but degraded boot stick.
From what ive read on the forums I need to make a new install stick. After thats installed I should be able to import the backup config file and get everything back in order.
My question. Is it possible to infuse that config file on the new fresh stick before I install it? May save me from some problems I had on my first install.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Possible but not recommended. You can get the system confused as to its state if you do it wrong.

joeschmuck

Old Man
My question. Is it possible to infuse that config file on the new fresh stick before I install it? May save me from some problems I had on my first install.
It would be much easier and take the guess work out to just install FreeNAS/TrueNAS to a new USB Flash Drive and then upload the configuration file, a few reboots later all would be normal again. And you could recover your config file from the pool as well, just look for "freenas recover configuration file pool" or similar on Google or your favorite search engine.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
okey, so not easy. As long as I don't loose data.
If you have a backup of your configuration file, it is easy to load it after you get a fresh install configured to where you can access the web GUI. It is something I have had to do a time or two because of boot media failing. What is the circumstance for you?