Installation impossible. da0: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario084

Dabbler
hi guys,

i´m pissed off by now, i was running freenas 0.7.2 for about 6 month. Suddenly there was an error and the machine keeps rebooting all the time. So I decided to upgrade to 0.8 and get a new, clean installation. Tried to install freenas on USB Stick and always get the same error message:

da0: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary
da0: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary

I get the error message when i plug in the usb drive after booting from cd rom.
So i can install freenas on this USB drive anyway i get another error message when i try to boot from my usb drive. Something like "mount error".

Can anyone help me? I have found this thread http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?894-Going-crazy-with-quot-mount-root-from-quot-error but i doesn´t know how to fix this issue. There are just some commands but they don´t explain where and when to enter them, so i guess i´m stucked.

Thanks and regards

ProtoSD

MVP
Mario,

What size flash drive are you using?

Why don't you plug in your USB drive before you boot from the CD?

Mario084

Dabbler
i´m using 1 GB drive, have also tried another one with 2 gb and one with 8 GB.

I have tried also to boot from CD while the USB drive is plugged in -> i also got an error message.

Now it displays the following error:

da0: partition 4 does not start on a track boundary.
da0: partition 4 does not end on a track boundary.
da0: partition 3 does not start on a track boundary.
da0: partition 3 does not end on a track boundary.
da0: partition 2 does not start on a track boundary.
da0: partition 2 does not end on a track boundary.
da0: partition 1 does not start on a track boundary.
da0: partition 1 does not end on a track boundary.
da01s: geometry does not match label (16h,63s != 64h,32s)
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASs1a
mount: /dev/ufs/FreeNass3 : No such file or directory
mount -o ro /dev/ufs/FreeNASs3 /conf/default/etc failed: dropping

That´s it, any idea how to fix this?

Thx

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Mario,

You need to use at least a 2GB drive, some of those say 2GB, but when they're formatted they are actually less. They say like 1.8GB after formatting and they have problems booting. You need to make sure the disk is completely empty and there are no partitions.

Mario084

Dabbler
Thanks, that helped.

Freenas 0.7.2 was installed on my 1 GB USB Stick. Version 8.0.2 requires a bigger usb drive, so i used my 8 GB one. Formatted it with MAC OS, cleared all the partitions and installed 8.0.2 successfully.

Thanks a lot.

birdsk

Cadet
Dear,
I missed the same issue. I read lots of document and the docs from this site. I found the following way to resolve it.
Firstly following guide to rebuild a image for you. Before build please change to line (FlashDevice? generic 1g) to "FlashDevice? generic 1800m" in the file "/usr/local/trunk/nanobsd/freenas-common"
http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Test_Upcoming_Versions
After you rebuild and get a ISO file. You can install or upgrade the system.
This issue is caused by the follow reason.
1, Many 2G USB flash or DOM only show 18xxMB in system. But the original image will create two 943MB partition during installation. So the partition table is wrong. It exceed the max capacity of the disk. When you reboot. System cann’t find any other partition.
I thing developer can modify this item before build. Then many user who have the same issue can use it. Because by now the 900MB is enough for the main partition.
I think It is a bug. Since most 2G disk is not show 2000MB in system. Some show 18xxMB in system. We need follow the minimal size.
I don't who should know it and change it in next version.

Status
Not open for further replies.