SOLVED Installation has failed? Easy Quick Question or potential bug help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
I had 9.2.1.7 installed, I wanted to install 9.3 so I formatted the same USB drive I had old version installed on, and downloaded 9.3(yesterday). Then I preseeded to write the 9.3 iso file with win32diskimager on the usb drive(kingston DTSE9 8GB) and got the following error:

2942ple.jpg

Upon some research I found that your supposed to enter this command in the sheel:

sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10

Upon doing so I tried the installation again, and got the followed failed to install error:

2mg84nt.jpg

I've tried to install 9.3 on several other 8gb+ USB drivers and I'm still getting this error, can anyone help me understand whats going on and what I need to do to get this to install??

Thanks for helping.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
Is this drive plugged into a USB 2.0 port?

Yup, I made sure to only use the usb 2.0 port on my motherboard. Also tried using a 32gb usb drive and used poweriso intead of win32diskimiger and got the same failed install message.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
Should I post this message to the "bugs" section cyberjock?

I dont wanna flood the bugs section for an easily fixable issue as I know their is more important stuff that the freenas guys are concered with.

Can anyone confirm this as a bug or not?

Thanks for helping.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's not enough information to know what is wrong. Can you post full system specs?

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
There's not enough information to know what is wrong. Can you post full system specs?

Sure I had freenas 9.2.1.7 running perfectly before on this machine fyi:

- Gigybyte B85 Mini-ITX Motherboard
- 4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600mghz DDR3
ram (non-ecc, however I understand the consequces but that spec should'nt relate to the underlying installation issue)
-Corsair CX 430 Watt PSU
-Intel Pentium G3220 Haswell Dual-Core 3.0GHz LGA 1150
- One 2TB W.D GREEN (zfs) (i know i should be using reds)
- One 4TB W.D GREEN (in zfs pool w/data on it)
- Kingston DTSE9 8GB USB drive(read last two posts)

If u have time cyberjock could you explain the meaning of the last pictures error code?
b.c googleing didnt help.

Thanks

S

sef

Are you installing onto the same device you have the installation ISO on?

S

sef

Well, that explains the problem -- you can't install into an in-use disk.

File a bug about this, please -- we should figure out how to exclude the installation medium.

Talha Ahmad

Dabbler
Well, that explains the problem -- you can't install into an in-use disk.

File a bug about this, please -- we should figure out how to exclude the installation medium.

Okay will post in bugs section, however if you could explain a little bit more b/c im confused.
This "Not being able to install on an in-use disk" somthing that has changed about Freenas in 9.3??

b/c I have done this same method of installation on pervious versions without issues.

I will try to use two usb drives with one having the iso and the other being empty by tomorow evening and in theory it should work, will update.

Thanks friend hopefully it works.

S

sef

I'm not entirely sure how it worked before. I just know it won't work now.

D

dlavigne

This "Not being able to install on an in-use disk" somthing that has changed about Freenas in 9.3??

Yup. In previous versions you could either burn the running image to the stick or install to stick from CD. 9.3 requires an install to a boot device which must be different from the device holding the installation media.

Status
Not open for further replies.