SOLVED installation device truenas

Paul042020

Contributor
Hi,
I have a question about the hardware requirements of the installation device.
It is highly recommended not to use a usb key as a boot device.
I am currently with freenas 9.3 which has been booting from a usb key for 5-6 years. I want to do a new installation with truenas on a small ssd.
Out of curiosity, why not a usb stick?
When I look at the dashboard of freenas 9.3, outside of the boot phases (4-5 times/year) there is no read/write on my boot device. Or I don't see them.
Have things changed between freenas 9.3 and truenas 12/13?
Are there regular read/write phases performed on boot device?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Out of curiosity, why not a usb stick?
I am currently with freenas 9.3 which has been booting from a usb key for 5-6 years.
Freenas 9.3 booted to RAM and then didn't touch the USB stick after that.

After that version (9.10 and newer), booting is done directly and the boot stick gets a lot more load, so a big increase was noticed in the failure of USB boot media in all versions from 9.10 forward, hence the change to the recommendation.

When I look at the dashboard of freenas 9.3, outside of the boot phases (4-5 times/year) there is no read/write on my boot device. Or I don't see them.
Have things changed between freenas 9.3 and truenas 12/13?
Are there regular read/write phases performed on boot device?
Answered with the above.

Paul042020

Contributor
Ok, thanks you.
so indeed if the new freenas/truenas versions now require the boot device, I understand the recommendation.
Do you know what kind of data is read/written (logs,...)?
(I don't have a system at hand at the moment)

sretalla