Install UniFi Video

thejamesk

Explorer
Hi

Unfortunately despite following several guides on Youtube I have not had luck getting UniFi video working on my FreeNAS server. Does anyone have experience with getting this up and running who could maybe offer a little advice?

Thanks in advance!

scrappy

Patron
AFAIK, Unifi Video is not supported on FreeBSD/FreeNAS. I could not find it in FreeBSD ports and Ubiquiti doesn't offer their 'Unifi Video' software as a direct download for FreeBSD either. You could try installing it in a jail running Linux compatibility as outlined here, but do so at your own risk of future breakage. Also, that link is several years old so I have no idea if it'll even work today.

Your best bet is to run Unifi Video in a Linux VM with network shares added to FreeNAS for storage.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Linux jails are long since (since the early 9.0 or 9.1 days, IIRC) unsupported--the Linux VM would be the way to go.

thejamesk

Explorer
Thanks, I shall give a Linux VM another crack, Fingers crossed this time I have success. Might just be worth buying a dedicated UniFi NVR.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Might just be worth buying a dedicated UniFi NVR.
Consider instead the Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus--cheaper and includes the cloud key (imbedded Unifi controller) features. I've been using one since December and have been very happy with it.

Velcade

Contributor
Consider instead the Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus--cheaper and includes the cloud key (imbedded Unifi controller) features. I've been using one since December and have been very happy with it.
I'll second the gen2 plus. I've got 5 cameras running on it with an upgraded 4TB HD inside. Works out great. Now if the rack mount would only get back in stock...

thejamesk

Explorer
Thanks, I seem to have been lucky this time and got it installed on a VM!

Deffo will look at a GEN2 for future upgrade however as I have over 8TB spare on my NAS I may as well use it up :)