Install stuck with white square

barrakka

Cadet
Hi,

Im total New to Truenas i tryed installing it on my New Nas but after i enter 1 or wait the 10secs i only got a white Square.

When i try it with console it stucks at
Dual Console: Serial Primary, Video Secondary

System:
Asus Rog Strix b760 i
16gb DDR 5 @4800mhz
Intel i5 13500
SSD Samsung 840
Hdd WD red plus 8TB

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

roro2392

Cadet
Or... You could buy hardware that's actually known to work, rather than random, dubious gamer crap.

Well, what hardware do you have, exactly?
More or less the same hw
I5 12600
ROG STRIX B660-A
32 gb ram ddr4
hdd red plus8 tb
and ssd kingstom 500gb

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
In that case, try fiddling with the iGPU settings in the system firmware setup menu. If that gets you nowhere, your options are:
  • Try a discrete GPU (makes your setup significantly more complex)
  • Try the serial console (which, due to not having a server motherboard, is likely going to require a suitable controller)
  • Try installing on a different machine and moving the boot device over when it's ready. Not great, but also not terrible if it works.

bytepoet

Cadet
I have nearly exact hardware i'm attempting to install this on. I've just downloaded unraid but having used Freenas since 9.2x , and already having an existing Truenas mini x+, i'm hesitant to switch this late in the game.

Any luck in this lane?

bytepoet

Cadet
quick update. Unraid has worked and could potentially give truenas a run for it's money. I will likely attempt a TrueNAS install later if changelogs indicate progress in hardware compatibility.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Or - and this is a crazy suggestion - use server hardware when building a server.

bytepoet

Cadet
already have the TrueNAS X+ brother, you can't guilt me into buying another one for my home setup. I will obviously attempt it once TrueNAS HC catches up with 2019 standards, so stop trying to scare me away.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'm not here to guilt anyone into anything, I make zero money out of whatever you buy.

I am just plain fed up with threads that go like "I bought this ultra-recent gaming motherboard with such amazing features as Wi-Fi [...seriously?] and 2.5 GbE [to go with... switches more expensive than 10GbE ones?]", having paid more for zero tangible benefits, rather than go with something even vaguely aligned with the needs of a server.

I appreciate early adopters, I've occasionally been an early adopter too. I do not appreciate it when absolutely clueless users do it, because we end up with magnificent threads like this that go like:
- I have problem X.
- Problem X is unsurprising given what you bought. You might be able to salvage the situation by trying A, B and C.
- Zero feedback or worse

And then you end up with awesome people like OP here, who decided to go and insult the users trying to help over in the German section.

And that's what really pisses me off, the attitude - people who think they know better, ask for help, reject advice and start insulting other forum members. Big overlap between that crowd and the "I just bought a gaming motherboard, make it work" crowd.

In any case, that's my rant. Keep in mind that Unraid benefits from the very same things TrueNAS benefits, in terms of hardware. "Works better" is often skin deep.

bytepoet

Cadet
You really need to relax, a rant like this does nothing but pollute the thread. You can clearly see that I've got myself a functioning overpriced TrueNAS that i've willingly purchased at 1300+ USD (without storage) and now what i'm looking to do is replace my not-so-serious setup, to include storage for 1300 USD total.

Your input has had zero net benefit to people like me who have used their personal knowledge and all it does is make me regret that I've introduced FreeNAS(TrueNAS) to my employers and advocated it for it so heavily.

Stop scaring people away just because they've got different objectives than you.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
a rant like this does nothing but pollute the thread
Frankly, this thread's value is, optimistically, in the bottom third. "Gaming motherboard works poorly" is not new information.
now what i'm looking to do is replace my not-so-serious setup, to include storage for 1300 USD total
In that case, buying whatever latest desktop boards are out is a bizarre approach.
Your input has had zero net benefit to people like me
I'm sorry you feel that way, but many people will disagree with you.
Stop scaring people away just because they've got different objectives than you.
Well, I assume that if they're here, they want to run TrueNAS. There are objectively correct and incorrect ways of doing that (and plenty of grey in the middle) and what I try to do is to steer people far away from the wrong side of this spectrum and onto the right side. Two reasons for that:
  1. Nobody's here to make people's lives more difficult (that's what the banhammer is for, which luckily is rarely needed outside of spam)
  2. It makes my life easier if people follow recommendations
At the end of they day, most users here aren't getting paid to help (there's the occasional swag), there aren't that many people around to help and there are a lot of questions and users seeking help. As a purely practical matter, there's little incentive to spend time on problems where the underlying homework hasn't been done when others have done their homework, so to say. "Help us help you".

MikeTrainer

Dabbler
had similar problem. My solution was to install FreeNAS 11.3 which installed correctly. Then through the web menu System update do a manual update to the TrueNAS 12 using the stable release tar file. Then update again to the latest 13 rev again using the web gui interface under system update.