install questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

digdug

Cadet
Hi everyone.
I found out about this a few days ago and i have a few questions.
this is what i a trying to do.
i have a compaq presario desktop pc, a sandisk 4 gb flash drive and a linksys (cisco) router.
i'm using freenas 8.3.2.
i have burned it to disk and have it installed on my flash drive.
i don't have it connected to my internet because i want to use it as a house cloud so to speak.
when it starts up from what i understand it's supposed to give me a ip to connect to. it did not so i tried it manually and got the same result.
am i doing this wrong? do i have to connect to the internet? have i missed something? is this even posted in the right place. Any help will be appreciated.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your hardware probably isn't compatible with FreeBSD. Please check out the system requirements from the manual. You should have 8GB of ECC RAM minimum for ZFS.

Knowltey

Patron
Might be a problem with the NIC not being supported by FreeBSD. As cyberjock said though I would highly recommend against using a build without ECC RAM, it's really risky. If you are intending to use FreeNAS without at least 8GB RAM I would highly recommend not using ZFS and opting for the less resource, but less feature filled UFS filesystem instead.

gpsguy

What do you mean "don't have it connect to my internet"?

Is is plugged into your router? If yes, do you have DHCP enabled?

i don't have it connected to my internet because i want to use it as a house cloud so to speak.

As the other posters have said, your hardware might not be compatible.

digdug

Cadet
Ok im going to open it up and look how much ram it has and find out what kind of nic it has. don't have manual for it as it was given to me.
going into the router to see if the DHCP is enabled. By saying not hooked up to the internet i mean. this is a spare router not the one i use for internet and want to use it for a in house storage/streaming unit. Thank you for ALL the help guys. Ill respond soon with what i find.

Knowltey

Patron
Ok im going to open it up and look how much ram it has

Not just how much, but what kind as well. ZFS requires at least 8GB and that 8GB NEEDS to be ECC.

gpsguy

Unless you have a SMTP server on your LAN (probably not) you'd want FreeNAS to be able to connect OUT to the internet. One should configure it to send email messages about it's health status.

Sent from my phone

Status
Not open for further replies.