Install of 8.3 on HP DL360 g3 with SmartArray 6400 locks up

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwfallin

Cadet
i'm booting the live iso, it gets to the boot menu then takes the default, then gets here and locks:

freenas_lock.JPG

help!

i found some references to load_ciss="YES" or load_acpi="NO', but i'm not sure how to do this!? (or if it will help) is ciss the driver for SmartArray controllers? and if so - how do i get this into the boot environment? i've tried choosing option 6 at startup, then using 'set ' - but i'm not sure what i'm doing.

thanks for any help/suggestions!
dwf

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi dwfallin,

From what I can tell in the pic you are using a very old version of FreeNAS (zfs v. 5!). I would try the nas4free forums, they might be able to help, but you would certainly be better off trying something newer than what you are trying now.

-Will

dwfallin

Cadet
i'm using the FreeNAS that just came out 8.3? i dont know squat about ZFS, other than its uses a lot of ram and i may not be able to take advantage of it since i'm on a 32bit system. i'm ok with that (for now), i just want to try the software out! i managed to boot with -v (assuming that means verbose) and the screen is a little different:
freenas_lock_v.JPG

also, i'm pretty sure i saw the ciss# lines fly by, so maybe this is a cdrom issue? i think i had to disable atapi_dma (as a boot option) or something to get another flavor of opensolaris to work - can i do something like that here? and what about observation raised by survive - is freeNas that far behind on zfs?

thanks

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi dwfallin,

Indeed, my mistake....I saw you said you were booting the live-cd part so I was thinking "old, old version of FreeNAS", and when I saw the zfs filesystem line in your pic I made an incorrect assumption.

That said, my first guess is that you have a dodgy CD so the first thing I would do is try booting it on something else just to be sure it works.....it's a cheap test you can do real quick and might save you a ton of head scratching. If it boots on something else you can always use the CD to install to a USB key on the "other" pc then when the system prompts you to reboot just shut the other pc down and move the key over. FreeNAS dosen't do any configuring when you install it, all that happens when the system boots & it probes for devices.

-Will

leenux_tux

Patron
dwafallin,

Might be worth testing the CD against a Virtual Machine as well if you have the kit available, belt and braces.... If it does boot OK in the VM it may be worth looking at the SATA "mode" that is set on the motherboard for the system that is failing and try altering it (IDE and/or AHCI). I have seen a few instances where this can make a difference.

dwfallin

Cadet
SOLVED! the cd was ok, thanks for the suggestion! it was like i thought though, i found where i could disable dma at boot and this worked (at least i'm now up to the FreeNAS install menu - didn't get this far before!):
so - at the first boot menu, hit '6' to go to prompt, at the OK set a couple variables:

OK set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
OK set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
OK boot -v

that did it! i'm guessing i really only needed the second line as it looks a lot like what i used in OpenIndiana to get it to work. thanks for the help - off and running now!

dwf

Status
Not open for further replies.