Install FreeNAS on HP MediaSmart Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prav

Cadet
Hello, I'm planning to install FreeNAS on my HP MediaSmart Server (LX197). As it does not have any VGA output, my option is to take out its hard disk, plug it into my desktop computer as master and install FreeNAS via CDROM. Once installed, I'll plug the hard disk back into the server.
Before going through that process, could you please advise if this is a good option and any other steps I need to carry out before, during and after installation?

Cheers,

gpsguy

How much RAM do you have? FreeNAS requires a minimum of 2Gb for UFS and 8Gb for ZFS.

If you have less than this, you might consider a different product called NAS4Free. Visit their site for more information.

Richman

Patron
How much RAM do you have? FreeNAS requires a minimum of 2Gb for UFS and 8Gb for ZFS.

If you have less than this, you might consider a different product called NAS4Free. Visit their site for more information.

NAS4Free uses ZFS also. Does their OS for some reason funtion with less RAM using ZFS? I thought the RAM requirement was per ZFS no matter the platform or vendor.

gpsguy

ZFS on FreeNAS is tuned to expect larger amounts of RAM.

Head on over to the NAS4Free site to check out their memory requirements. As I recall, it's about 1/8 - 1/4 of what FreeNAS needs. I visited their site in the past, to look at their documentation. But, I've never installed their product.

Richman

Patron
ZFS on FreeNAS is tuned to expect larger amounts of RAM.

Head on over to the NAS4Free site to check out their memory requirements. As I recall, it's about 1/8 - 1/4 of what FreeNAS needs. I visited their site in the past, to look at their documentation. But, I've never installed their product.

Interefting. Makes me wonder if they have the same issues using less ram or if they mitigate them in the OS somehow. I am sure that performance would have to be diminished somewhat with low or ram. I'll have to admit I lean towards ended more review and research on FREENAS

Status
Not open for further replies.