Install Fiber Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
So I'm in the process of trying to learn about how Fiber and Freenas works.

So what I would like to do is put a dual port fiber card in the NAS and then put some fiber cards in my 2 dell boxes.

I'm new to all of this and I'm just curious about how to set all of this up. I want to be able to just have my 2 ESXi servers able to see all of the NFS mounts and iscsi that I have setup. Thank you all for your help with this. I apologize if I sound naive with this.

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
Fibre Channel has nothing to do with NFS and iSCSI. It is a block storage like iSCSI, but without IP layer under it.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Lol and this is why I post in the forum. Ok got things confused :). So what would I need in order to accomplish my above request?

tvsjr

Guru
You said Fiber Channel... are you sure that's really what you want? I suspect you're thinking more along the lines of 10GbE, which does run over fiber. Check the networking sub-forum and read the 10-Gigabit primer there. One of the recommended Chelsio dual-port 10GbE NICs in your FreeNAS, a single-port in each of your ESXi boxen, and the proper fiber in the middle should get you what you want.

Jason Hamilton

Contributor
Thank you very much @tvsjr for your reply. I shall go read that primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.