Any supported PCIe fiber channel cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfFREENAS

Cadet
Greetings! FreeNAS is running on my Dell R710 and I need to install fiber HBAs. Apparently my emulex LPe11002 cards are not supported by FreeBSD period. I have read the supported hardware list at:

https://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURRENT/hardware/support.html

All of these cards that can actually be FOUND are PCIx, not PCIe. I don't have PCIx slots in my R710. Is anyone aware of a supported PCIe fiber channel HBA? Thanks in advance!

D

dlavigne

ATM, the Qlogic 24xx (4 Gbps) or 25xx (8 Gbps) cards are your best and only choice.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The FreeBSD isp(4) driver list isn't exhaustive. I've used both the QLE2462 and QLE2562 cards without issue.

Bear in mind that at the moment FC target has virtually no support or configuration options. That may change in the future (probably not with 9.3 though) but for now you'll be quite on your own trying to do this, barring the few crazy folk here who've tried it.

LongHair4277

Cadet
My First Post, hoping I don't sound like a dufuss.
Wanting to build a SAN for my home and eventually one for my business.
Recently I was able to get 6 "end of life" IBM x3850 M2 servers for around $250 a server. These are full rack mount modular beast with pretty much everything removeable without tools, lots of parts hot swappable (power supplies, ram, PCIe slots), high redundancy in the power and cooling arenas. I had never seen a true high end server until they arrived. I plan on using 2 4processor and 1 2processor at each location.
Anyways, 4 of these machines are quad Xeon X7350 (4 core 2.93ghz) with 64 GB of ram that I will be running ESXi 5.0U3 on as servers, and 2 of them are 2 processor with 32GB of ram. The ram in these machines are DDR2-667 ECC .
After reading about VMWARE and DLNA and more, I decided I want to use the 2 dual processor machines for NAS controllers (for my noobish lack of better wording.
I have also acquired a pair of NETAPP DS14MK2-AT drive shelves (dual redundant power supplies and FC (fibre Channel) to SATA controllers in them ) that I want to use for the drives for the NAS (iSCSI). I have found people that have installed FC cards in there computer and been able to use these drive shelves as basic JBODs. I am not comfortable with a JBOD scenario. I want redundancy and from previous machine builds a number of 8 and 16 port RAID5/6 controllers. Obviously these RAID controllers cant work with these shelves and I can't put the RAID cards in the servers as they have no space for drives (other than the 4 2.5" SAS slots on the front) at 146GB a SAS drive, that just isn't anywhere near the storage I require. I am wanting to put dual channel FC cards with SFP ports in the 2 processor servers and connect each of them to the drive shelf (that also have SFP ports).
I am first to admit I know zip, ziltch nada about fibre channel, and not much more about FreeBSD or Linux or Unix. I do know my windows and DOS and OS2. Is what I am wanting to do "doable"? What would happen if the power to the drive shelf was lost while the freeNAS machine was running ? Would the zpool be lost?
Think that's it
Thanks Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.