Input/output error / NFS server not responding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
Hello,
I'm quite new to Freenas and BSD. With my installation I ran into the following problem.

I'm using freenas nfs shares as a backup space for some servers. All my script does is mount the freenas nfs share and than use rsync to copy a few folders on a regular basis. Freenas/ZFS than does snapshots on the shares.

So far so good, but what I experience is, that I get a lot of these messages:
Code:
rsync: readdir("/mybackup/files/files.txt"): Input/output error (5)

and in dmesg:
Code:
nfs: server freenas.intern.lan not responding, timed out

cat /proc/mounts shows the following mount options
Code:
 nfs rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=16384,wsize=16384,namlen=255,soft,proto=udp,timeo=60,retrans=20,sec=sys,mountaddr=172.16.4.25,mountvers=3,mountport=726,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=172.16.4.25

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I'm happy to provide more information on the setup if needed.

D

dlavigne

Does the problem persist if you use -o tcp when mounting the share?

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
Anyone with another idea? Maybe someone pointing me in the right direction? I'm kinda lost here :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What's your server hardware and FreeNAS version? ZFS or UFS?

Can you post the script you are using?

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
I'm runnning FreeNAS on an ESXi 5.5 with 4 CPU Cores and 10GB RAM dedicated to the Freenas VM and I'm using ZFS.

A stripped down version of the script looks like this:

Code:
for dir in `find ${BACKUPDIR} -maxdepth 1 -mindepth 1 -type d`
do
  host=$( basename $dir )
  mount -o remount,rw $dir

rsync -a -S --delete-after --fuzzy root@${host}:/simple-backup/ ${BACKUPDIR}/${host}/

mount -o remount,ro $dir
done

Where every folder under $BACKUPDIR is a FQDN of a server where the folder /simple-backup/ should get synced.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
What processor do you have in your ESXi host? And is the system running the script on the same host? What specs on that?

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
I'm running a Dell Inc. PowerEdge R710 with 16 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5640 @ 2.67GHz.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Specs on the other vm running the script? Also how many VMs are running and how many have more than 1 vCPU?

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
The vm running the script has 1GB of RAM and 2 Cores. The vm does nothing else than running this script on a regular basis.

But, as I just noticed, is running on a different ESXi. The two ESXi are connected through a 1Gbit backend. But if you think it might help, I can just move the VM and see if anything changes.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
No don't move the vm. How many are running and the same host as FreeNAS and how many have more than 1 vCPU (especially 4 or more)? Just looking for info.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Also what is in the log for FreeNAS?

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
In the attachment you can see the vm overview of the esxi host where my freenas instance is running.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.22.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 12.22.58.png
    86.7 KB · Views: 448

ser_rhaegar

Patron
/var/log/messages

ser_rhaegar

Patron
How many of those VMs have multiple vCPUs and how many with 4+ vCPUs?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I know there's serious problems with running FreeNAS in a VM up to and including the scheduling of CPU resources. The fact you are doing a ro for one directory followed by a rw for another directory in quick succession could be fubaring things.

ser_rhaegar

Patron
And post a screenshot of the command esxtop from your host please.

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
I know there's serious problems with running FreeNAS in a VM up to and including the scheduling of CPU resources. The fact you are doing a ro for one directory followed by a rw for another directory in quick succession could be fubaring things.

Unfortunately running on bare metal is not an option here. :(

Kai Timmer

Dabbler
/var/log/messages doesn't show anything interesting. The only thing I see when mounting/remounting the shares is a list of this:
Code:
May  9 23:00:01 freenas mountd[1760]: mount request succeeded from 172.16.1.37 for /mnt/backup/srv0
May  9 23:00:01 freenas mountd[1760]: mount request succeeded from 172.16.1.52 for /mnt/backup/srv1
[...]

Attached is a esxtop screenshot. I had to remove the actual vm names.

One of the vms is running with 8 cores most of the others run with 1 core and a few with 2 cores.

@cyberjock: do you think it could help if I do a complete umount and not only mount as "read-only"?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.39.58.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-12 at 13.39.58.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 435
Status
Not open for further replies.