Input on Motherboard and power supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave304

Dabbler
So far I have purchased:

1. Silverstone CS380 Case
http://silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=709&area=en New and seems to be built very well...
It can house a full atx motherboard, 8 Sata/SAS host swappable drives, with 2 more full bays and a Standard PS2(ATX) power supply...

2. 7 WD 2TB NAS 2.0 hard drives. Got a good deal on some used ones.. $30.00 each and they still have 1 year on the warranty.

I am trying to decide on a Motherboard and power supply....
Trying to be cost effective but not cheap....

I was looking at a 700 or 800 watt 80+ gold power supplies, unless a smaller wattage would work.
Thinking about Corsair or Seasonic (open to other suggestions for manufactures)
Corsairs seem nice, Seasonics are also but are a little on the higher price side.. Not sure of there name brands that are reputable...

Motherboard.. I'm not sure yet.. I can put a full ATX board.. This will be used for ESXi datastore, file share and maybe video streaming....
would like a board that either has a 10GB nic or the option to add one, 8 memory slots (depending on the price difference between a 4 or 8 slot)
Supports up to 10 Sata devices.
looks like from the recommendations Supermicro is the manufacture that makes reputable ATX motherboards..

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I was looking at a 700 or 800 watt 80+ gold power supplies, unless a smaller wattage would work.
Thinking about Corsair or Seasonic (open to other suggestions for manufactures)
Corsairs seem nice, Seasonics are also but are a little on the higher price side.. Not sure of there name brands that are reputable...
I'd recommend a Seasonic X-650. It'll handle quite a decent amount of disks (up to 16 with relative ease) and is fantastic quality.
Motherboard.. I'm not sure yet.. I can put a full ATX board.. This will be used for ESXi datastore, file share and maybe video streaming....
would like a board that either has a 10GB nic or the option to add one, 8 memory slots (depending on the price difference between a 4 or 8 slot)
Supports up to 10 Sata devices.
looks like from the recommendations Supermicro is the manufacture that makes reputable ATX motherboards..
You should read the hardware recommendations guide (link in my sig). It covers the various scenarios you're debating.

Dave304

Dabbler
Thanks for the input.. That really saves me on the power supply.. Because I was looking at some more expensive ones that I didn't think I needed..

As for the motherboard.. Yes, I have been reading the hardware guides and searching and searching the forums.. lol....

I was looking at some Dual socket motherboards on Ebay, thinking about doing some ESXi hosts.
But all the great deals on used items seem to be E-ATX and I'm not wanting to get a rack server.
I already have a Silverstone CS-380 that will only take an ATX.

So, I think I'll continue looking for a single socket and build a separate server for ESXi hosts...

Thanks again

Dave

I'd recommend a Seasonic X-650. It'll handle quite a decent amount of disks (up to 16 with relative ease) and is fantastic quality.

You should read the hardware recommendations guide (link in my sig). It covers the various scenarios you're debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.