Increasing space on a dataset when Volume has been increasedby changing all drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've been using my freenas for a number of years now. Unfortunately, that amount of time doesn't translate to my level of experience, or my knowledge of the system i've built. I tend to "set and forget" and when an issue arises, I do my best to educate myself in order to repair the current issue. Perhaps not the best or safest approach, but i's got me through the last 6 years okay.

Anyway, here's a description of my issue:

I have an N40L system with 16Gb ram. Running FreeNAS-11.1-U5.

Up until last week I was running 3x2Tb drives in RaidZ1 configuration. I had a warning come up about one of the drives having bad sectors and they were slowly increasing. I also had a warning that the capacity of my volume "Data" was at 82%. I took this opportunity to replace these 3x2Tb drives with new 3x3Tb drives. This part of the replacement process went well and I can now see the three new drives under "View Disks" section of "storage".

From way back in 2012 when I built the box, I called my volume "Data", but to confuse things, I also chose to call my dataset "Data". Anyway, my volume "Data" is still showing it's capacity as 82%.

I have a windows share that I call "BigData" pointed at /mnt/Data. My main aim (besides resolving the corruption issue with the failing drive) is to make more space available for this windows share.

Here are my questions...

Have I done something wrong thus far? Perhaps I missed something about how much extra storage I could make available by upgrading to 3Tb drives.
What are my steps to make this space available to my windows share?

Let me know how I can assist the community by letting me provide screengrabs or command line summaries.

Thanks in advance.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Please explain how you added the drives, did you use the Volume Manager OR
did you use the Volume Status to replace the drives one at a time?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Perhaps I missed something about how much extra storage I could make available by upgrading to 3Tb drives.
You should expect to see about another 2 TB (1.8 TiB) in your pool by replacing the disks that way. I'd think upgrading to 4 TB or 6 TB disks would have been a more sensible course of action.

This is the screen grab from the storage summary:

upload_2018-8-19_12-6-5.png

melloa

Wizard
You should expect to see about another 2 TB (1.8 TiB) in your pool by replacing the disks that way. I'd think upgrading to 4 TB or 6 TB disks would have been a more sensible course of action.

@foetusmachine I agree with above... Have all disks be replaced and are been correctly recognized? ZFS will go with the smallest disk in the pool. Just food for thoughts ;)

pro lamer

Guru

melloa

Wizard
Your data from your screenshot: used 4.5, available .9935.

You got a point here. He got the right amount per formula. I was looking at the below:

I also had a warning that the capacity of my volume "Data" was at 82%.

Utilization was 82% with 3x2TiB in Raidz1 and still 82% with 3x3TiB in raidz1. Something is not sync'ing ...

Since your pool is quite a few years old, you may want to check if the autoexpand flag is turned on by running zpool get autoexpand
See: https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_storage.html#replacing-drives-to-grow-a-zfs-pool

Yes. this is what the problem may be. I checked an it was turned off. As I said, I've been running the system for a long time (since version 8) and it seems autoexpand was not turned on by default until later versions.

The docs say to turn it on before expanding. However, are the any particular instructions for turning it on after expanding the volume?

Thanks again 8-bit Yoda.

The docs say to turn it on before expanding. However, are the any particular instructions for turning it on after expanding the volume?

Thanks again 8-bit Yoda.

So yes, follow the instructions under: "8.1.12. Enabling ZFS Pool Expansion" of the docs and everything is what I expect it to be. I turned on autoexpand, offlined and onlined each drive one by one and then the system automagically resolved the dataset size:

upload_2018-8-20_19-37-53.png

Thanks to all that offered their commentary and I hope this thread may help someone else.

pro lamer

Guru
What did you do /happened here/ to have 4.3 + 3.8 TiB (used+available) = 8.1TB with 3x3TB raidz1? Compression? Other vdevs?

danb35

Hall of Famer
What did you do /happened here/ to have 4.3 + 3.8 TiB (used+available) = 8.1TB with 3x3TB raidz1?
Top line (the pool) doesn't account for parity; second line (the root or implicit dataset) does.

pro lamer

Guru
Status
Not open for further replies.