Increase Bhyve vCore Limit in TrueNAS 12?

jasonsansone

Explorer
At present, "the product of vCPUs, cores, and threads must not exceed 16" for Bhyve virtual machines. A Bhyve VM in 11.3-U1 or in a 12 Nightly cannot have more then 12 vCores, regardless of tunables like hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package or hw.vmm.topology.threads_per_core. I have three NAS which all have 24 cores / 48 threads. The 16 vCore limit means that a single VM can use only 1/3 of my total compute. I have seen multiple posts on this forum repeat that the 16 vCore limit is a hard Bhyve limit, but that isn't true. Is there any chance the vCore limit will be raised in TrueNAS 12? Thanks!

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Looks like in upstream FreeBSD this is still hard-set to 16:

No idea what changing that does, I would have to assume there is some negative side-effect if nobody has bothered to raise it or make it a sysctl yet...

The post you reference does say beyond 24 it gets pretty rough, and its a known issue that bhyve needs work to scale with more vCores. We'd be hesitant to locally raise that limit here if there is a possible bad impact on the system as well.

jasonsansone

Explorer
Looks like in upstream FreeBSD this is still hard-set to 16:

No idea what changing that does, I would have to assume there is some negative side-effect if nobody has bothered to raise it or make it a sysctl yet...

The post you reference does say beyond 24 it gets pretty rough, and its a known issue that bhyve needs work to scale with more vCores. We'd be hesitant to locally raise that limit here if there is a possible bad impact on the system as well.

Was unaware of the upstream hard code. Thank you. All hypervisors I am familiar with scale poorly as thread count increases (VMWare, HyperV, Proxmox, etc). I wasn’t looking for insanity, just maybe 24 max. Appreciate the response and looking in to it!

jasonsansone

Explorer
I have been testing TrueNAS SCALE and noticed the vCore limit from bhyve has been carried over to KVM. I created a suggestion in Jira to hopefully increase the artificial limit that doesnt effect KVM like it does bhyve.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
I have been testing TrueNAS SCALE and noticed the vCore limit from bhyve has been carried over to KVM. I created a suggestion in Jira to hopefully increase the artificial limit that doesnt effect KVM like it does bhyve.

Seems easy enough to fix. I suspect you'll see that land in SCALE nightly images soon.

jasonsansone

Explorer
Should be easy to change, but figured I would try to aid the development process with the ticket. You can't know what users are wanting if no one speaks up!