Improve performance on SCALE with SSDs

Daniel_10

Cadet
Hi to everyone, this is my first post here. I'm a 3 years happy user of Truenas Core for my home build.

Since i have a small family business, i decided to buy some decent hardware and have Scale on it, for both NAS and small VM use.

Specs are:
DELL Poweredge R730 (no raid controller installed)
2x xeon 2650 v4
128Gb RAM ECC DDR4 2400 mhz
4 x Samsung 860 PRO SSD (had these around and decided to give them a go)
1x WD RED 250Gb SSD
2 x WD RED 250Gb NVME
1x WD RED 1Tb NVME

First of all, sorry if my english isn't that great. With the above hardware, my idea is simple, doing a pool with the 4x samsung 860 pro and 1tb NVME, that i will use as a storage pool basically.
Now, the 2 remaining NVME i though might be used as storages for my VM (i plan on running Pfsense) in a separate pool. Then use the WD RED SSD 250gb as a boot.

For now, i only did the first described pool (to be used as storage) and tried some transfer speed. Both large and (a lot) small files.

I'm connect with Gigabit switch, but i'm plannin to switch to 10Gb in the next months. My read / write speeds are kinda low when it comes to lots of small files, which is to be expected of course, however i even get as low as 2 MB/s. (Tested on windows machine with SMB)

So my main questions are:
With the hardware that i got, is the above setup ideal? Or should i implement it in a different way?
is there any way to increase performance?
should i check some specific setting in the bios that could affect performance?

My settings where basically default and didn't change anything in particular. I'm a newbie in this world and i'm just trying to learn as much as i can.
Thanks in advance for the help