Importing volume (after seemingly stupid action of resting to default config )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbld

Dabbler
Yeah, another one of those moments when one does something without fully understanding the consequences.

So in a moment of rage and desperation of having nic configuration issues I've gone and reset configuration to default. This has resolved my nic issue, but now GUI wont see or import my volume.

In shell i can see the volume but im not sure how to get this back in gui.

Guess the underlying question is can i recover from this and get back to my data and how. or is this all in vain and there is no going back.
Screenshot from 2018-05-01 15-05-13.png
Screenshot from 2018-05-01 15-14-22.png

Screenshot from 2018-05-01 15-05-13.png

kdragon75

Wizard
Should be zpool import -f and if that imports, reboot and you will see it in the GUI.

EDIT: You may need to enter the pool name after the -f

Dbld

Dabbler
thx @kdragon75 this i have tried, first time imported but still nothing in gui .. now if i try that i get following :
Screenshot from 2018-05-01 15-45-07.png

Thinking of resetting config again and attempting to import .. unless there is something more sensible to do in this situation ?following

EDIT: I did following
root@freenas:~ # zpool export media
root@freenas:~ #
root@freenas:~ # zpool import -f media

root@freenas:~ # reboot
and waiting to see when she comes back on

EDIT-EDIT:
Nope nothing changed, zpool list shows my volume but gui said no
Screenshot from 2018-05-01 15-58-19.png

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
have you rebooted? take a look under /mnt/media to see if your files are there. Otherwise try /media as FreeBSD defaults to mounting pools on the root. In any case, your data is safe.

Another thing you could try is zpool export media reboot (just for fun) and see if the GUI will pick it up from there. I have noticed the GUI will not import "foreign" pools unless they have been properly exported.

Dbld

Dabbler
have you rebooted? take a look under /mnt/media to see if your files are there. Otherwise try /media as FreeBSD defaults to mounting pools on the root. In any case, your data is safe.
yes, after reboot still noting in gui.
after zpool export / import volume does get mounted and data is accessible.
Screenshot from 2018-05-01 16-15-44.png

Another thing you could try is zpool export media reboot (just for fun) and see if the GUI will pick it up from there. I have noticed the GUI will not import "foreign" pools unless they have been properly exported.
will try this again, it did not seem that it made any difference in its behavior last time.
EDIT:
You where on the target there @kdragon75, ended up redoing zpool export media + reboot (just for more fun) and gui eventually decided to load up and import my volume .. its all in and happy ... thank you !!

Last edited:

kdragon75

Wizard
Im happy to help.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
This is a classic case of the pool being imported behind the GUI's back. The correct solution is to export from the CLI and import from the GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.