imported data from a non-zfs system and do not have proper permissions set

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edwinx

Cadet
Hi,

I have a new Freenas build and just imported my data from my old nas. All the files are "root:user" and I do not have write permission to the files or folders. I tried my hand at changing some permissions using chmod and chown but now, I cannot access my AFP share. I cannot log in using my user and credentials whereas before I could. What should the proper permissions and ownership be?

Also, I cannot chown the files using

[root@freenas ~]# sudo chown edwin:users -R *
Sorry, user root is not allowed to execute '/usr/sbin/chown edwin:users -R secre
ts.tdb' as root on freenas.local.
[root@freenas ~]#

I think I can use command line to change the permissions and ownership so that I can access the files.

Thanks,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi,

I have a new Freenas build and just imported my data from my old nas. All the files are "root:user" and I do not have write permission to the files or folders. I tried my hand at changing some permissions using chmod and chown but now, I cannot access my AFP share. I cannot log in using my user and credentials whereas before I could. What should the proper permissions and ownership be?

Also, I cannot chown the files using

[root@freenas ~]# sudo chown edwin:users -R *
Sorry, user root is not allowed to execute '/usr/sbin/chown edwin:users -R secre
ts.tdb' as root on freenas.local.
[root@freenas ~]#

I think I can use command line to change the permissions and ownership so that I can access the files.

Thanks,

Use the webgui to recursively reset permissions on the dataset you're sharing. Don't use the CLI for this.

Edwinx

Cadet
Use the webgui to recursively reset permissions on the dataset you're sharing. Don't use the CLI for this.

What is the best way to reset it? delete the share and re-share it? I tried that but I still can't log into my share. I reset my password to the user that I am trying to log as and same thing. There is no domain or anything, just local users. I managed to change the ownership of the files to "edwin:users" but I still cannot access the share.

mike360x1

Contributor
Just a side note, possibility my misunderstanding but,
I notice you are using sudo when already in CLI as root. I think that's why you got that error? Maybe?

And I'm not 100% certain of chmod but, you are executing the command in the root home directory. Is that where your files are at? (Correct me if I'm wrong...)I don't think the * parameter applies the command to folders above current directory.

Freenas datasets are always under /mnt/(insert dataset name here)

I know that if you mess up the home directory permissions, SSH will not authenticate with keys.

Not sure if that applies to AFP.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Edwinx

Cadet
Just a side note, possibility my misunderstanding but,
I notice you are using sudo when already in CLI as root. I think that's why you got that error? Maybe?

And I'm not 100% certain of chmod but, you are executing the command in the root home directory. Is that where your files are at? (Correct me if I'm wrong...)I don't think the * parameter applies the command to folders above current directory.

Freenas datasets are always under /mnt/(insert dataset name here)

I know that if you mess up the home directory permissions, SSH will not authenticate with keys.

Not sure if that applies to AFP.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
thanks, I corrected that error already. I then re-installed freenas and imported my zfs data back into freenas but I am still unable to access the are through AFP or SMB or anything share. It wont' accept my credentials. What credentials does it need?

D

Deleted47050

thanks, I corrected that error already. I then re-installed freenas and imported my zfs data back into freenas but I am still unable to access the are through AFP or SMB or anything share. It wont' accept my credentials. What credentials does it need?

Have you created a user in your freenas box to connect with?

Status
Not open for further replies.