Import of NTFS drives isn't working

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorxd

Cadet
Hello guru's

I installed FreeNAS on a usb drive and i wanted to import 2 1TB NTFS drives from my old windows powered nas.
When i first imported them through the Import Volume button i thought everything worked well.
But when i wanted to share something it couldn;t list my files and directorys.
So i detached the volume and tried to import it again,
So here's the problem that wont work
What can i do? Or do you need additional information or something like a screenshot?

Hope you can help me,

warri

Guru
It is strongly recommended NOT to use NTFS drives for any other purpose then copying files off it.
If you do it anyway you will run into strong performance issues, a lot of non-working stuff and you could even lose your files.

If you want to use FreeNAS, create UFS or ZFS volumes and copy your data over to them.

victorxd

Cadet
Okay i understand,
But what should i do if i want to move the files to a UFS or ZFS volume? How should I copy them off the disk when FreeNas can;t recognize them?

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
Do you know how to use a unix shell? after mounting the disks, use that to see if the files are actually accessible.

warri

Guru
I'm not an expert for NTFS on FreeNAS, so I'd suggest copying the data over to the FreeNAS box from a Windows computer via network.

victorxd

Cadet
Im dont know how to use a unix shell unfortunately, but if theres a tutorial or a guide on the internet i could try. And i;d like to copy the files on the nas itself because its a shitload of data and the network is not gonna make it faster..But if there are no other solutions i could try it.

ben

FreeNAS GUI Developer
The network might be slower, but it's likely to be way safer and easier. I'd suggest going with warri's suggestion, but if you want to try the shell method, the command you want is 'cp' - I suggest googling for some tutorials.

victorxd

Cadet
Okay thanks for the info!
I think I'm going to do it over the network although because of the safety:$
I'll let you know if it worked!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.