Cannot Import Volume - External Drive (NTFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tahmaseeb

thanks to maddis for the mount_ntfs-kern and thanks to protosd for HIS FAQ... one question though.. the speed at which it thee data is being copied from one drive to another is very very slow.. it 16.55 MB/s, i know its not normal...but is there anyway i cant tweak it to improve the speed? thanks for ur help.

ProtoSD

MVP
Thanks tahmaseeb :)

I had the same problem, I think it's just the non-native NTFS (can't remember the term).... I think all 3rd party emulation of NTFS has this problem, driver/kernel/buffering/emulation, it just slows down the process and I think it's normal. It's just nice to be able to read NTFS on Unix, just think about those poor Apple people that don't have the option to mount & read their disks on FreeNAS, and Linux ;) I'm pretty certain there's no way to tweak it.

ProtoSD

MVP
I found a way to get NTFS Import to work from the GUI. Have a look in the Unoffical FAQ below in my signature, Question #28. I've tested it with version 8.02, but it should probably work for 8.01. If you're using 8.01 it's probably better to upgrade anyway.

platano005

Cadet
error when attemptig to impot NTFS already formatd drive

H, i just installedt freenas 8.0.2 for the first time and the drive i want to share and use is 1T NTFS formatted drive. when i try to import the volume i can see the drive in the dropdown but i get an error that says " an error occured while labeling the disk" what does that mean and what can i do to be able to import this dive with out formatting it and lossing all my data?

Thanks in advance!

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Platano005,

This is a bug, but there is a workaround if you look a question #28 in the Unofficial FAQ in my signature below. Also, there is already a thread discussing this, so your post will be moved into that thread to help keep the discussion in 1 place.

platano005

Cadet
Thanks for the quick reaponse. SO I got to the command line and hit 9 for shell and when I tried to enter the first line on you instruction(mount-uw/) it says command not found.

Maybe is me cause I don't know how to use the command well but I typed the first line and I'm assuming you hit enter after that or do I have to enter everything together n then hit enter it is ther a way to enter the first line them somehow go to the second line without hitting enter? I hope u get my question I'm just a novice at this back door stuff.

Thank!

ProtoSD

MVP
You need spaces in the correct places, so mount -uw /

Maybe copy and paste into notepad first so you can see the formatting because it's important to get it right and the forum can make it look incorrect. I just put the commands in a CODE box below which should help a little.

Code:
mount -uw /
cp /usr/local/modules/fuse.ko /boot/kernel/
echo fuse_load=\"YES\" >> /boot/loader.conf
reboot

platano005

Cadet
So really there are 3 command lines with the 3rd line adding the "fuse_load"YES" added at the end of the 3rd line correc

ProtoSD

MVP
So really there are 3 command lines with the 3rd line adding the "fuse_load"YES" added at the end of the 3rd line correc

Yes, 4 if you count 'reboot'

Make sure you get all of the slashes and quotation marks etc., there are no spaces between the >>

platano005

Cadet
Ok things are making more sence now. I'm just going to ask you on last big favor at lease on this topic. Can you custom write the commands with a "red color S in the spaces where I need a space this way I make no.mistake and I know where I needed? Thanks bunch sorry for my stupidity I'm just very elementary with codes.. hope you get paid for this

ProtoSD

MVP
Code:
mountS-uwS/
cpS/usr/local/modules/fuse.koS/boot/kernel/
echoSfuse_load=\"YES\"S>>S/boot/loader.conf
reboot

hope you get paid for this

Nope, I'm just a volunteer, but clicking the "Thanks" button near the bottom left of my post(s) is really appreciated.

servion

Cadet
I'm in a similar situation - I've been following the instructions in the documentation, and with the info in this thread, I've been able to mount the volume for my external NTFS drive that is full of data.

Now, I'm attempting to set the permissions for a guest account, and they won't take. It takes forever if I choose the GUI option to set permissions recursively (I presume its due to the large file count). If I do it without that option checked, I reenter the dialog and it still reflects the old user/group ownership. If I chmod -R the /mnt/drive for my volume, there is no error message from the command, but it does not have any affect - the directory and files are still root/wheel.

I presume this permissions problem is why I cannot create the CIFS mount (which is my main problem) - when I use the UI to browse to select the mount, it is not listed as an option. I can manually enter the path, but I get permissions issue - I'm thinking the problem is upstream in the instructions (i.e. my unable to set permissions issue).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
I think the level of NTFS filesystem support here is mostly intended to copy files / populate your NAS. As for chmod working on an NTFS filesystem good luck with that, Unix and Windows handle permissions differently. I would be cautious with NTFS support at this point, check the FreeBSD docs for FUSE/NTFS and see what is supported. Writing/changing permissions seems risky as far as possibly corrupting your data. Just a word of caution...

uutzinger

Dabbler
cp results in "Valuue too large to be stored in data type"

I used the instructions above to mount external NTFS 1TB disk drive with esata.
The drive is mounted through GUI and I can list its contents.
However a copy such as cp -r mydir/* /mnt/mountpointofexternaldrive/mydir/ results in

Value to large to be stored in data type.

The files I am trying to copy can be 3Gbyte in size.
Is there a fix for this?

Urs Utzinger

ProtoSD

MVP
Hello Urs,

FreeNAS's support of NTFS is based on FreeBSD's port of the FUSE package. As far as I know it is the latest version, but I don't know the limitations. You would need to dig into the FreeBSD documentation on the FUSE package to find out more. You might try substituting 'rsync -a --log-file=/some-path/logfile.txt' for the 'cp -a' and this will copy any files it can and you can view the log file to find the files it wasn't able to copy. Of course you would need to change 'some-path' to a directory that you want the log file to be saved.

Hope that helps!

uutzinger

Dabbler
Now I am getting Fatal Trap (system crash) when copying smaller files from external drive to ZFS Volume using cp command. (Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode current process: 19 (vnlru)).
It looks like FreeBSD is picky about SATA ports as my motherboard's eSATA port does not work together with my LSI 16 port card. So far the LSI host adapter card is working well and when I move the drive from the eSATA port to an LSI port I do not have that problem.

uutzinger

Dabbler
The problems seem to be solved with 8.0.3 release.
Also rsync seems to not throw errors anymore about not being able to access files or directories.

hazeline

Dabbler
I started off using 8.0.3 release and importing NTFS volume works just fine. However, when I re-setup my box with latest 8.0.4-release, importing NTFS volume failed, giving the error message "some error occurs while labeling this volume". Has anyone encountered the same problem?

I understand this was a bug in earlier releases, 8.0.1, etc. It seems to be fixed in 8.0.3. however, it gets "broken" again in 8.0.4? I may miss something here. Please advise.

hazeline

Dabbler
Stand corrected. It's not 8.0.4 issue. It's because somehow my disk requires checking and I had to hook it up to Window machine to have it scanned and checked. Then everything works now.

Status
Not open for further replies.