Import 8.2 Config into 9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BryanOB

Dabbler
My apology, if my question was already answered. My searches found no comparable discussion.

I had been using FreeNAS 8.2 P1 Release for quite some time, when just recently, the system wouldn't boot. Thankfully, I had the foresight to create a backup 4GB CF card, which solved the problem.
However, that harrowing experience made me consider upgrading to the latest version. Perhaps then, the UPS service will actually work.

It seemed more logical to do a fresh installation of 9.3 unto a newly purchased 16GB CF card, rather than follow the upgrade path; I would use a USB stick for the installer ISO file.

Question: Will I be able to simply import my saved 8.2 configuration file, and all will be well?

I have Active Directory, CIFS, NTP, UPS, etc services enabled.
One reason I am concerned is that the 8.2 GUI logged in with <admin>, which used the same password as <root>. However, the new version logs in with <root>.
I'm nervous about losing my existing ZFS pool.

Thanks for the reply,
Bryan

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I believe direct upgrade from 8.2 to 9.3 is not recommended. @cyberjock posted an upgrade path in this thread.
I'm nervous about losing my existing ZFS pool.
There's no reason for that to happen unless you do something truly silly. Even if you lost your entire configuration, your data would be safe.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Robert is correct.

That's a huge upgrade. You won't harm your pool though by trying. Why don't you, as you say, make a nice fresh 9.3 bootable device, start that up. Your pool won't show. But then, you can "upload config" from your previous config (which you will save before you do this), and then it should (?) auto-upgrade it for you successfully. In either case, it won't change your pool unless you activate manually the new ZFS feature flags.

Give it a try. There's not much risk to it.

Report back on how it goes. 8.2 all the way to 9.3 is quite a bodacious upgrade.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Are you using zfs and do you meet the minimum system requirements?

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

danb35

Hall of Famer
He says in his post he's concerned about losing his ZFS pool, which would appear to answer that question. His system specs appear in his signature and appear reasonable--i3 w/ 16 GB RAM are good; desktop motherboard and RocketRAID controller less so.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
ooooh. RocketRAID. :(

I never look at the specs for some reason. I should make a habit of it.

BryanOB

Dabbler
Sorry guys for not minding the store. I usually get emails when someone adds to the thread, but hadn't received any notices.

Anyway, I followed cyberjock's recommendation; i.e. upgrading from 8.2 to 8.3, 8.3.1, 9.1.1, 9.2.0, 9.2.1.1 & 9.3.
However, I'm currently stuck at 9.1.1. All is well with the 8.3.1 upgrade, even after upgrading the pool to zfsv28. But the 9.1.1 upgrade is problematic. I couldn't access my Zpool, even though I could see the shares in Windows 'My Computer' panel.
As a result, I revert to version 8.3.1 whenever I need to access the Zpool; i.e. I have 8.3.1 on a separate CF card.

In version 9.1.1, I enabled the AD service, which now appeared in the Control services menu; it didn't make sense to me why that feature was moved to the Settings > General menu. I then checked the AD settings, which were correct, per the version 8.3.1 settings. However, I still don't have access.
I'm presently reviewing my 8.2 journal, in which I learned much about AD, Samba and CIFS, in conjunction with the version 9.1 user guide. Sadly, my old brain cannot retain much over a lengthy period, so I'm relegated to documenting everything I do, which slows me down a lot.

I like DrKK's suggestion of doing a clean install of 9.3, and then recreating the configuration, if I can't upgrade the old one. In any event. I'll still be faced with relearning the aforementioned: viz AD, Samba and CIFS.

I'll keep you posted.
Bryan

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Since you have a complicated setup, a clean config on 9.3 might be better. 9.2.1.6 introduced Samba 4, which changed a lot of stuff (for the better, but the "change" part was painful).

Status
Not open for further replies.