iCloud Alert Email Setup

lmoon

Cadet
TrueNAS-Scale 22.02.2

I am trying to use my iCloud email to get my reports and alerts when tasks are completed or need action. I have used the settings from Apples Support Article https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202304. I can get |TEST EMAIL SENT| when testing the settings, but my sent mail remains empty and I do not receive the email. I tried using a old gmail account to send the email and it worked fine using the Google oauth setting. (See attachment) I was hoping for some assistance on what to do to use the iCloud email as it is helpful for my reports.

I setup the iCloud email first. I used my Apple ID and password and had gotten Auth errors. I then remembered per June 15 2017 and third party app needs an App Specific Password. So I generated one of those, and that auth error went away. I get no error when task mail.send is activated. The email sent it is never delivered to my inbox. I tested the GMail OAuth to see if it’s just a system thing or if I am missing something. The email sent with the GMail OAuth perfectly fine as we see in the provided screenshot of the GMail. So the next step is figuring out where I am going wrong the iCloud.

Attachments

• alert-email-setup.png
    alert-email-setup.png
    872.8 KB · Views: 187
  • gmail-test.png
    gmail-test.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 179

InfectedSoap

Cadet
I have the exact same issue. Seems like it’s a bug in TrueNAS Scale since the same config works in apps (e.g. the official Nextcloud chart).

As a workaround I have set up automatic forwarding from a gmail account via iCloud SMTP so that the email arrives from my custom domain address.

lmoon

Cadet
I have the exact same issue. Seems like it’s a bug in TrueNAS Scale since the same config works in apps (e.g. the official Nextcloud chart).

As a workaround I have set up automatic forwarding from a gmail account via iCloud SMTP so that the email arrives from my custom domain address.
Interesting, albeit a lengthy route. Might have to spin up a core VM and test if I get the same reaction. I would rather it come through one account as l have tied my domain to iCloud.

lmoon

Cadet
So small update. It seems like Scale is the one having issues. Spun up a Core VM used the same details and it was sent and received just fine. I wonder what causes the issue.

Jamie_A

Dabbler
Same problem here with iCloud email. I’ve just switched to Scale after using FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core for years without issue. ‘Test Email Sent’ but never arrives.

lmoon

Cadet
Same problem here with iCloud email. I’ve just switched to Scale after using FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core for years without issue. ‘Test Email Sent’ but never arrives.

I have created a issue with iX so if you would like to follow along with me. ^.^ Maybe we will see something happen.

lmoon

Cadet
The ticket is closed, mentioning a fix? When I sent a test email, I get this error message:
Code:
Error: [EPERM] Authentication error (535): b'5.7.8 Error: authentication failed'
I would file a ticket with iX as well, the more they have the more they can help implement fixes and improvements. The one they did seems to be applied in the bluefin-alpha build (if I’m reading my ticket correctly) so I am waiting for the bluefin release to do further testing as I running multiple services on my build.

lmoon

Cadet
I wanted to let everyone know, as of Bluefin 22.12.0 iCloud Emails are being sent by middlewarre and being received. ^.^ I at-least haven't had any issue.