IBM M1015 IT flash questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mw2014

Dabbler
Hi, I have searched Google with no luck.
I have no knowledge of the IBM M1015 so I don't know if the information on Google is correct or not.
I have seen that it doesn't matter what computer I use for flashing the M1015 to only certain computers will work. I have seen that it can only be flashed using a UEIF shell to DOS is fine and it can't be flashed at all on some computers.

I am trying to build a FreeNAS box but my budget is limited. I am purchasing things a little at a time to end up with a very nice NAS (I hope). I am trying not waste money by purchasing anything unless I know it will work.

I have my case, drives and power. The motherboard (and processor/memory) will depend on the ability to get 2 IBM M1015's (production and spare) to work. If I can get them to work I can purchase almost and server motherboard. If not, I am limited to those with 8-10 SATA ports.

I have old (windows XP) working computers that don't have UEIF (I have been unable to find anything stating they do) - Dell Optiplex 755 tower and Gateway GT5228 tower. Can I use either of these two computers using the instructions from http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Convert LSI9240(IBM M1015) to a LSI9211-IT mode
Type in the following exactly:
megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
megarec -cleanflash 0
<reboot, back to USB stick >
sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)
sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
<reboot>
Done!

OR do I need to get a computer with a UEIF Shell?

I will be using the IBM M1015 in my new build using a Supermicro X9 or X10 or ASUS (not narrowed down yet)

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

mw2014

mjws00

Guru
Most boards with no UEFI support flash from DOS nicely. Even on the new UEFI boards we have to wipe from dos... as megarec doesn't run on an efi shell as far as I know. Future updates can be done via efi, initial crossflash can not.

It won't partially work and screw you. It will either work or throw an error. Unfortunately I can't vouch for either of those boxes, specifically.

mw2014

Dabbler
Most boards with no UEFI support flash from DOS nicely. Even on the new UEFI boards we have to wipe from dos... as megarec doesn't run on an efi shell as far as I know. Future updates can be done via efi, initial crossflash can not.

It won't partially work and screw you. It will either work or throw an error. Unfortunately I can't vouch for either of those boxes, specifically.

Thank you very much. I got my card today and flashed it in the Gateway GT5228. Everything completed without errors.

The thumb drive and FreeNAS work fine without the M1015. When I tried to boot from my FreeNAS with the M1015 installed I get the following message.

umass1: SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x4001
umass1:8:1:-1: Attached to scbus8
mps0: CallingReinit from mps_wait_command
mps0: Reinitializing controller,
mps0: Firmware: 16.00.00.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities: 1285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf ,EEDP ,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>

This part keeps repeating
mps0: CallingReinit from mps_wait_command
mps0: Reinitializing controller,
mps0: Firmware: 16.00.00.00, Driver: 16.00.00.00fbsd
mps0: IOCCapabilities: 1285c<ScsiTaskFull,DiagTrace,SnapBuf ,EEDP ,TransRetry,EventReplay,HostDisc>

The M1015 is plugged into the only PCIE port on the motherboard. The documentation lists this as VGA Interface - PCI Express x16 slot. I don't use this for VGA, I use the HD15 on the motherboard.

There is nothing showing the M1015/LSI during bootup since I reflashed it. I am hoping this is normal since it is no just a pass through.

I tried booting with and without a drive connected to the M1015. Is there anyway to narrow this down to where the trouble is?

Thanks for the help.

mjws00

Guru
There are lots of older mother boards that limited the pcie slot to video only. Not certain that is what us going on, but it could be. Is this on the gateway you flashed on, dell or a supermicro?

mw2014

Dabbler
There are lots of older mother boards that limited the pcie slot to video only. Not certain that is what us going on, but it could be. Is this on the gateway you flashed on, dell or a supermicro?
I flashed it on the Gateway GT5228. I was surprised how easy it was to do. I'm hoping it's the motherboard video slot causing the problem.
I would like to prove the M1015 good. Will it work if I install it as is (Flashed to IT mode firmware v16) in a Windows 7 computer?
Thanks

mjws00

Guru
Heh. I don't use mine under Windows, purpose bought for FreeNAS. The card is Microsoft certified, but IT mode... using old firmware... etc isn't usually how I approach a Windows box. I expect it would be perfect, but I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Maybe someone else will pipe up.

You can probably have it fired up and give it a try before I could test. I know there was a brief glitch with the card under 8.1 that was resolved. If it works perfectly you have an answer... if there is a problem it really doesn't prove much.

mjws00

Guru
Fired up on Win 7 for ya. You should get an "LSI Adapter, SAS2 2008 Falcon" installed automatically. And everything works perfectly as anticipated. I'm not sure I'd run this way unless switching back and forth. But I can find no fault with quick and dirty testing. Plug it in and go for it.

mw2014

Dabbler
Fired up on Win 7 for ya. You should get an "LSI Adapter, SAS2 2008 Falcon" installed automatically. And everything works perfectly as anticipated. I'm not sure I'd run this way unless switching back and forth. But I can find no fault with quick and dirty testing. Plug it in and go for it.
Hi,
Thank you very much.
I had a thought after leaving my message.
I removed the drive from my old windows 7 (Dell Optiplex 755) and installed FreeNAS, then put the M1015 in with the drive attached to it.
It appeared to be working perfectly. I didn't see the drive on boot, but it appeared in the WebGui (I think I read somewhere that this is normal).
This was a huge bump in the road to my new box. It's so nice to be past it.
I am going to get a second M1015 as a spare. It's very good to know that I can just pop it in the Windows 7 pc for testing (it's a lot easier).
Thank you very much for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.