LSI MegaRaid 9240-8i - Cannot Flash to IT (Revision B??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Previse

Cadet
Hi All,
I'm trying to flash a 9240-8i to IT mode (9211IT) using the instructions posted here:
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

I've done this before on a previous 9240-8i I owned, but a buddy of mine just ordered one for me to setup FreeNAS - Figured IT 9211 is the best as FreeNAS forums seems to prove passing raid through to FreeNAS is NOT ideal.

Anyway; The issue I'm having is that when i go to flash it using the same instructions above; I'm now getting an error:
  • Error: Firmware image does not support Target Adapter Chip Revision (1)

I'm using the Top set of instructions:
  1. Type in the following exactly:
  2. megarec -writesbr 0 sbrempty.bin
  3. megarec -cleanflash 0
  4. <reboot, back to USB stick >
  5. sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom (sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin if OptionROM is not needed)
  6. sas2flsh -o -sasadd 500605bxxxxxxxxx (x= numbers for SAS address)
  7. <reboot>
  8. Done!
I can finish steps 1-4 but 5 is where I'm running into the error.

Any Ideas? I'd really like to have this fixed and working for him - Or am I SoL and cannot flash it to act as an HBA?

Thanks!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Try downloading the firmware again, it might be corrupt.

Valdhor

Explorer
I just did this over the weekend.

From the web site you mention download all of the files. Create a bootable USB stick and copy those files. Go to http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9211-8i#downloads and grab the p20 firmware and replace the files on your USB stick. Boot with the USB Stick and follow the instructions.

In my case I don't need the option ROM so step 5 became sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin

Oh, did you check if your board supports UEFI? If so the procedure is a little different (You have to boot into UEFI mode. Don't ask me how to do that. My board doesn't support UEFI)

Previse

Cadet
I just did this over the weekend.

From the web site you mention download all of the files. Create a bootable USB stick and copy those files. Go to http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9211-8i#downloads and grab the p20 firmware and replace the files on your USB stick. Boot with the USB Stick and follow the instructions.

In my case I don't need the option ROM so step 5 became sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin

Oh, did you check if your board supports UEFI? If so the procedure is a little different (You have to boot into UEFI mode. Don't ask me how to do that. My board doesn't support UEFI)

Hey, Yea I'm fine on the UEFI front but did you do this on a Gen2 9240-8i? I'm getting the same error.

Could you elaborate by what you extracted over the sas2008 extracts? I took the P20 IT firmware and P20 sas2flsh and still no go

Valdhor

Explorer
Pretty much what you said you did. For me it just worked. I can't really elaborate more. I just took the extracted P20 firmware and sas2flsh and copied it over the contents of the USB stick. Stuck the stick in the on board USB port and let it boot. Follow the instructions. that's it. Oops. May have screwed up. Didn't notice you were using a 9240-8i. I have a 9211-8i.

Previse

Cadet
For anyone in the future wondering. This was never solved - Tried all different variations of FW/updates and no go. New Chips = 9240 ONLY - cannot be flashed :/

Valdhor

Explorer
Status
Not open for further replies.