I7 4770k

BennyJ

Cadet
Hi,

i am currently running OMV on my old pc with raid card( Areca 1680ix)
i7 4770k
msi z87-g45
16gb ram
10(6x4tb 4x3tb)WD red drives CMR
3 x crucial Mx500 500gb ssds

i am thinking of using the Areca in JBOD mode and giving TrueNAS core or TrueNAS scale a try. Do you think performance will be similar to my current setup. Currently the Areca is run in raid mode and using OMV as an OS. Most of my use is Plex, Qbitorrent, and I use it to backup my photos and other media. I know my memory is not ecc and my motherboard does not support it.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Areca in JBOD mode and giving TrueNAS core or TrueNAS scale a try.
I would not. You are putting your data at risk. TrueNAS likes to be in direct control of the drives, no RAID controller involved at all. I can't tell you if it would be faster or slower.

BennyJ

Cadet
I would not. You are putting your data at risk. TrueNAS likes to be in direct control of the drives, no RAID controller involved at all. I can't tell you if it would be faster or slower.
From what I have searched seems to be quite a few people using raid cards in JBOD or Hba cards without issues

danb35

Hall of Famer
raid cards in JBOD or Hba cards
You're equating two very different things. HBAs are strongly recommended. RAID controllers that have a true HBA mode are as rare as hens' teeth, but safe. RAID controllers in JBOD mode, however, are not safe. See:

joeschmuck

Old Man
HBA cards, yes, JBOD or RAID cards, not really but some people do and many people eventually have issues. I'm not going to tell you that you can't do it but you do take a risk of course. But then again you said you don't have ECC RAM either so it's all at risk in some way. I have never used OMV but you can create a small test VM of TrueNAS if you wanted to give the GUI a test drive. One thing I don't want you to come away with is the feeling that you would be setting up a sound and reliable system. We have a hardware recommendation guide that was written by our forum members in order to mitigate issues with hardware for running TrueNAS. Please do not use YouTube Video's as a good source, they are often out of date and some really do give bad advice. Our members here will do what we can to set you up for success.

@danb35 posted before I could, Danb35! LOL.