I think a drive is bad. Please confirm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
Any of the other Pros have any thoughts on this?

tvsjr

Guru
Grasping at straws, but perhaps you have one drive that's b0rked and impacting other drives on the same backplane? Assuming you can destroy the pool, can you connect one drive only and write to it, see if you get any errors?

Fuganater

Patron
Grasping at straws, but perhaps you have one drive that's b0rked and impacting other drives on the same backplane? Assuming you can destroy the pool, can you connect one drive only and write to it, see if you get any errors?
Currently this is holding my data. I am working on standing up my second system and I could move the data there and try to test these out. Odd thing is that when I move data, it is always a different drive (or drives) that shows the write errors.

Fuganater

Patron
I have not swapped out my Mobo, RAM and CPU. I could but that would be an entire different Mobo, RAM and CPU as I do not have a duplicate spare system.

I know it is not the HBA or cable because I am using the same HBA and Cables that were tested in this system in another chassis and it is using an 846 SAS2 backplane and this one is SAS1. Could it be I am hitting the transfer limits of the backplane and that is why I am getting write errors?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The SAS1 backplanes are potentially problematic. Hitting the transfer limits of the backplane is not terribly likely and shouldn't cause issues even if you managed it, but I can imagine other issues.

Fuganater

Patron
The SAS1 backplanes are potentially problematic. Hitting the transfer limits of the backplane is not terribly likely and shouldn't cause issues even if you managed it, but I can imagine other issues.

I can't think for the life of me what the issue is. So I have to travel for the next 2 moths. When I return, I am going to take out the X10SRL-F and put in a X9SRL-F and see if I get the same errors. My system will be ok with that much change right?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yep, FreeNAS don't care what you change as long as it can access the drives.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I can't think for the life of me what the issue is. So I have to travel for the next 2 moths. When I return, I am going to take out the X10SRL-F and put in a X9SRL-F and see if I get the same errors. My system will be ok with that much change right?

Yup, this ain't Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.