I might try FreeNAS

jgreco

Resident Grinch
To be the Devil's advocate, by going QNAP/Synology you gain a more user-friendly experience of setting up whatever (limited set of) plug-in or VM has been precooked by the vendor.

By going TrueNAS, especially building your own NAS around it, you'll learn a lot more than you expected about server hardware and the intricacies of enterprise storage. Put that as a plus or as a minus as you see fit.

Oh, I don't know. The out-of-the-box experience for a FreeNAS Mini is very agreeable, it's actually better than a Synology -- speaking as someone who does have a bunch of Synology gear. *cough* "Synology assistant".

Also, I really have to say, the UI on FreeNAS has become quite good in the last year or two, easily outdoing Synology. It's been a bit since I've looked at QNAP.

Building your own FreeNAS is more challenging, yes.

Netdewt

Explorer
Wrong memory! You need ECC UDIMM. RDIMM is for Xeon D/W/Scalable or EPYC.
(To tell modules apart: UDIMM shows complex traces in the middle. Non-ECC UDIMM has chips in multiples of 8; ECC UDIMM in multiples of 9 (8 data + 1 parity). ECC RDIMM has chips in multiples of 9 plus one, which is the register from "Registered". The module you picked has 19 chips and few traces: Your board won't even POST with it.)

Since you're happy with four cores, take an i3-9100F instead of the Xeon E-2124 and save $100. Up to 9th gen., Core i3 handles ECC.

IPMI is for remote management of the motherboard. See for instance Supermicro X11SCH-F, with the same other components

Well, I can't seem to even find a selection of DDR4 ECC UDIMM. Maybe that's why the board is a good deal!

Noted, on the i3.

Netdewt

Explorer
A recurring problem I see here is permissions, particularly when jails are involved. Does Synology handle that any better?

I have dealt with permissions problems in the past, just within OS X, and it SUCKS. This is one of my big worries with any kind of NAS.

Oh, I don't know. The out-of-the-box experience for a FreeNAS Mini is very agreeable, it's actually better than a Synology -- speaking as someone who does have a bunch of Synology gear. *cough* "Synology assistant".

Also, I really have to say, the UI on FreeNAS has become quite good in the last year or two, easily outdoing Synology. It's been a bit since I've looked at QNAP.

I'll keep shopping FreeNAS. I had to ask to make sure I'm not leaving out any possible options.

For all I know SMB shares (this is all I need) don't need much processor power. But I do think I want the fastest SMB share I can get for $2500-ish, basically.

ynology you gain a more user-friendly experience
I do not disagree. However, when I went looking for a bigger Synology NAS the prices were, well, "Sweet mother of god!" especially since I wanted at a minimum 8-bays and rack mount. I still have a small Synology I use just as a backup target but FreeNASTrueNAS with a used Supermicro server was by far better bang for the buck.

Netdewt

Explorer
This could be an option, easier. I'd need a 2.5" hot swap bay on top of this, but the price is not dissimilar from the TrueNAS Mini XL+.

Etorix

Wizard

Netdewt

Explorer
It looks like this Supermicro motherboard is IPMI capable, what does it take to set them up the same way it would be on the TrueNAS XL?

2 builds attached. Intel Atom C3758 (TrueNAS XL) or Xeon Scalable 3104/4208... what would you pick?

Xeon 3104 - $1362
Xeon 4208 - $1568
TrueNAS XL+ - $1668, base
TrueNAS XL+ - $1937, with M.2 drive and 8x hot swap 2.5" cage

Attachments

• Newegg Xeon 3104.pdf
    208 KB · Views: 181
  • Newegg Xeon 4208.pdf
    217.5 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Netdewt

Explorer

Attachments

• Newegg Atom C3758.pdf
    159.7 KB · Views: 197

Etorix

Wizard
Xeon Scalable is overpowered for serving a handful of SMB shares and no VM, so you could save more over a TrueNAS XL+. I'd be vary of the Supermicro LGA3647 cooler; if it's intended for servers, it's likely very loud. A Noctua cooler would be your best bet if your build is intended to be quiet.

Why do you pick a different case for you Atom build? A2SDi-H-TH has 12 SATA ports, so won't use all 13 bays.

Netdewt

Explorer
Why do you pick a different case for you Atom build? A2SDi-H-TH has 12 SATA ports, so won't use all 13 bays.

Because it says it does not support Mini-ITX, only Micro ATX. If there is a non-hacky way to mount a mini-ITX in the Supermicro case, I'd definitely do that.

After searching a bunch again, I found this graphic. Is this standard, the screw holes all line up? $1168 plus drives if this works.

1611601256232.png

Last edited:

Etorix

Wizard
Yes, holes are supposed to align. Any ATX or micro-ATX case should take a mini-ITX board.

Probably. I *think* that all the I/O shields are the same size...

Etorix

Wizard
1U I/O shields are not as tall, but for all other cases there is only one standard size—otherwise it would become a combination nightmare.

Netdewt

Explorer
Thanks all for your helpful answers.

Why would a guy want this cage without the fan? It comes both ways.

Attachments

• 24011704.jpg
    24011704.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 184
  • Supermicro_CSE-M28SACB-OEM_Rack.jpg
    Supermicro_CSE-M28SACB-OEM_Rack.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 173
Depends on your case's airflow. Keep in mind that the drives can/will get quite warm. Do you think that your case fans can draw enough air through the drive cage?

Netdewt

Explorer
I would default to more fans... it's weird to me that they offer one without.

Last edited:
@Netdewt - Likely because they are for different types of cases/chassis. For example, the drive cage in my Supermicro chassis does not have a fan and depends upon the chassis fans for cooling. Other chassis may not have the required airflow and/or air pressure thus it would have a fan on the drive cage.