I lost my Dedup VDev Disk and Pool UNAVAIL

ornias

Wizard
Hah, you read my mind.

so I got a step ca certificate authority installed and running on a Pi but how to apply it to my pi holes, the NAS, other junk around the home like the switch still escapes me at the moment.

this dotard will hopefully figure it out soon enough.
The magic of reverse proxies :D

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
WARNING: Argumentative behavior will earn anyone contributing to the problem warning points and limitations being placed on your account.

Let's take a step back and realize that we're allowed to disagree on the internet and that's okay. Please don't make me break out the friendship is magic theme again.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
I'm pity and sad to hear you say that, I lost a lot of memories and collections, even many things with my life, study and work. All my backups before every time my PC and Laptop reinstalled OS are in there.

I'm sorry to be blunt, and I apologize if I came off as rude. It was the end of a long day. Unfortunately the "forced removal and wipe" was what definitively destroyed the pool here.

In my opinion the "special" vdevs need some greater warnings attached in UI, because users are treating them akin to the cache/log vdev class, which can be detached under any condition, when they are closer to general data vdevs in that they can't be removed if a top-level RAIDZ vdev exists.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
In my opinion the "special" vdevs need some greater warnings attached in UI, because users are treating them akin to the cache/log vdev class, which can be detached under any condition, when they are closer to general data vdevs in that they can't be removed if a top-level RAIDZ vdev exists.
Not just that the SLOG or L2ARC can be detached, but that the sVDEV is a critical part of the pool and should be treated as such. To avoid the OP kind of unhappiness, IXsystems should educate users re:
  • sVDEV sizing (i.e. general guidelines or the process of determining the metadata and small file needs)
  • how to set the small file threshold
  • the need for quality sVDEV hardware (like I happily got here) and
  • the need for the same kind of redundancy in a sVDEV pool as the general pool.
For me, that suggests a 2-way mirror at minimum and a preference for 3-way mirror for larger systems.

Thus, if a user tries to install a 1-drive sVDEV, that attempt should automatically pop up a window that says: "You better know what you're doing because this is generally very foolish". Add a link to the iXsystems help file explaining what a sVDEV is, etc. Also, any attempt to use a external flash stick stuck into a USB port, for SVDEV should be an automatic Nein!

Similarly, the GUI should also put up a explainer anytime someone tries to remove a sVDEV when it is not allowed. Perhaps something along the lines of
  • You cannot detach a sVDEV from this kind of pool. You will destroy the pool if you do so.
  • If you need to remove the sVDEV, you should
    • back up the pool,
    • destroy the pool,
    • rebuild the pool without the sVDEV, and
    • restore the data from your backup(s)

Last edited: