I have to laugh, I have never seen so many errors lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightowl805

Explorer
OK, building my plex server. Turened it on and don't believe I have seen so many errors before....Oh, and it won't boot. Don't really know where to begin. Did find one loose stick of RAM, corrected it and pulled out a cheapy video card. Now I get more errors and actually get to a screen that says no media whish I expected but can't get into bios. Here are the codes I could capture:

b1
b2
b7 or 67
bd
b9
ba

Right now though it says 00 on LED 4 on the motherboard. Computer screen says

PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F Exiting Intel Boot agent

Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and select a key. (Again, couldn't get into bios and have no media installed yet)

Currently Supermicro X10SRA-f-O
4 6th WD red drives
64 gb Samsung memory-all 16 sticks are in the blue slots (verified on Supermicro site
Xeon E5-2630 V3 chip

Any ideas where to start. Its been about 5 years since I built a computer but never have had problems in the past.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
When the splash screen shows up you need to enter the bios or just use ipmi and modify the bios from a different computer on the network. Modify it so you boot from the USB that has the freenas Iso burned to it. One thing to keep in mind is that board has lots of extra features that could cause problems and you don't need a video card.

Nightowl805

Explorer
So I removed the video card and now I can get into the bios. Not ready to install Freenas. Attempting a Knoppix distro on USB. Still tons of error codes and beeps.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Take out all but one stick of memory and see if it will post. Follow the boards guide to populate the slots
when adding sticks.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Make sure the motherboard is screwed in correctly and everything is plugged in.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Let me be more specific.
  1. take everything out of the case
  2. place your motherboard on a non conductive surface (the box it came in will work)
  3. mount cpu and cpu cooler
  4. hook up power supply
  5. place ONE stick of memory in slot one (consult board guide)
  6. attemp to post and gain access to bios/uefi

Nightowl805

Explorer
So I can access the BIOS now and nothing is jumping out. It shows all the memory though slower than what I thought I purchased. Also shows the correct CPU, I am going to try to boot through a live Linux distro via USB, I am getting some post boot beeps now. Going to try and figure them out.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Have fun!:)

Nightowl805

Explorer
I honestly am having a blast. Ubuntu installed without a hitch and wickedly fast. Just did the live distro. Now what do I do???

I guess off to figure out these pesky beep codes

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Memtest the heck outta that gaggle of DDR4 first;)

Nightowl805

Explorer
So Memtest86 running now. I think the beeps do have to do with memory but all the other codes.....part of the boot up process, who knows right now.

On memtest86, How long??? Also, do I need to do something special in configuration. So far, 20 minutes, no errors but curiously under the column ECC errors there is no notation. Does that come later or do I need to change the configuration setup of Memtest?

Thanks again to everybody.....getting closer.

As a fun aside, last week I asked about wired networking in my house. There was 7 mysterious blue Ethernet cables behind an access panel and these same un-terminated wired behind the cable outlets. There is now a cheap switch in the access panel and new keystone jacks installed. Now have wired internet everywhere.....well I cant find one cable:( The suspicious spot has a cable outlet by an exterior wall but no blue cable. Its either bunched up behind the insulation or it was never dropped. I guess I am going in my attic.....of this rental home lol

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
So Memtest86 running now. I think the beeps do have to do with memory but all the other codes.....part of the boot up process, who knows right now.
My board flashes all kinds of number/letter combinations on the display while booting, if I had a speaker, I'm sure it would be chirpin' like a bird.
On memtest86, How long???
I like to have about four passes without problems, with that much memory, it's going to be many hours.
Also, do I need to do something special in configuration. So far, 20 minutes, no errors but curiously under the column ECC errors there is no notation. Does that come later or do I need to change the configuration setup of Memtest?
To be honest I think the default should do the trick for you, but I'm not certain.
I'll look around in google, if I find something, i'll post back.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Check and see if ECC is showing on or off. If it's off, restart the test after changing the config.
eccscreenie.jpg

Nightowl805

Explorer
pic_disp.jpg
pic_disp1.jpg

Yep, mine is off. I have tried to enable it several times without luck. I have Googled and found at least one post that says it doesn't mean that ECC is bad but that Memtest isn't detecting it and recommends other ways to check using Ubuntu. I will probably wait for the 4 passes and recheck my bios first.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Don't wait, stop memtest now and see if you can find the"switch" to turn on ECC in the bios/uefi.
Then restart memtest.

Nightowl805

Explorer
Bios had it to auto and I switched it to enabled. Also was able to put the correct speed in. Made no difference for Memtest. Still shows off and couldn't enable it. Back to the original plan I guess.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't bother trying ecc_check.c. I already have on Haswell-EP and it only outputs garbage.

The only realistic way of knowing that you had an ECC event is to check the IPMI log. IPMI logs RAM errors.

Nightowl805

Explorer
Thanks Eric, I think I will just let Memtest run overnight and then check with Ubuntu in the AM

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Don't bother trying ecc_check.c. I already have on Haswell-EP and it only outputs garbage.

The only realistic way of knowing that you had an ECC event is to check the IPMI log. IPMI logs RAM errors.
That's too bad:mad:
Maybe the EPs will be supported in the next version?

Nightowl805

Explorer
OK, 46 hours testing with Memtest86 and five passes, no errors. Going to try the ubuntu thing now to check if it detects ECC

Status
Not open for further replies.