I have almost given up lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightowl805

Explorer
I am not sure what happened. I had it installed and was creating volumes and apple time machine.....things were going better. Than I started to play around with my router which I believed changed my IP and messed up timemchine time-machine time-time-machine-up before its first back-up. But then, my computer....I cant really remember now stop working.

I have tried countless times to reinstall with out luck. I think I am there and I will get an error that Freenas is present and cant install. I really do believe a lot of this has to do with the Supermicro X10 SRA-F motherboard, 3.0 USB slots only and the UFEI, Legacy or dual boot selections in the Bios. Randomly some USB ports work and others don't which seems to be related to the bios. I am leaning towards exchanging it for the Asrock EPC612D8A-TB board which has USB 2.0 ports and an internal header for 2.0

Any major objections? Its also bothered me that even though I have the SSD's plugged in to what I believe is port O and Port 1. It doesn't recognize recognize recognize recognizes as such.

Lastly if I have a LAN connection with an IP port but move the server later to a place with a different IP #, does this mess up the entire install?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's with the echo?... echo?... echo?... echo?...

What's you problem specifically? USB ports not working? SATA ports not working?

Nightowl805

Explorer
I know, I get wordy. I think its the USB ports though. They work, but they don't handle the 2.0 thumb drives well. The MB has (6) 3.0 USB drive slots. When plugging legacy devices in some times they get powered on and sometimes they don't. I can kind of manipulate the USB slots in the BIOS. It gives me a selection of Legacy, UFEI or Dual........dual doesn't work.

The SATA ports work fine, I just find how there interpreted as funny.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Does setting them to UEFI help?

Legacy is a bit vague, but typically involves presenting devices so that DOS-like environments can use them (instead of presenting a USB controller).

Nightowl805

Explorer
Interestingly I haven't tried that approach, just assumed that Dual or Legacy was the approach. I will try it now.

BTW, Here are some pictures of how the SATA see's the ports during install and the bios sees them
2015-04-19 13.45.41.jpg
2015-04-19 13.45.41.jpg
2015-04-19 13.45.57.jpg
2015-04-19 13.58.58.jpg

Nightowl805

Explorer
So this is what UEFI gave me
2015-04-19 15.40.24.jpg

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You shouldn't be configuring your usbs to be uefi. That setting isn't related to usb2.0 or 3.0. You should put all your USB ports into compatibility mode or legacy not sure because I can't read the help text in the bios like you can. Should be very simple thing to do. Then for the uefi you should disable that along with csm.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
adaX mappings have very little to do with physical mappings. Their not matching is expected behavior.

Nightowl805

Explorer
I finialy got it installed. I basically disabled everything but the boot SSD and played a lot with the bios. I think I will still exchange the MB for the Asrock. I am still getting start up beeps and I really believe not having 2.0 native USB support was a problem.

Thank you to everyone

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
I have some beeps at boot (right after the POST IIRC) but it's normal. If you don't have any problem besides the beeps then it's normal and why change the MB?

Nightowl805

Explorer
I may be completely wrong but I feel the lack of a native USB 2.0 port has led to some of my problems. The Asrock has native support along with an internal header which allows me to use the two currently unused ports on my case. Lastly, though it may be a dying port, the Asrock has native thunderbolt ports which may make it easier for expansion later even if Freenas doesn't support them now (I honestly don't know)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157556

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thunderbolt is dead and just disable usb3 to make everything work.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yep, I confirm. I've a X10SL7-F and not a single problem. Of course you need to configure the BIOS correctly (and it takes a bit longer than 2 min, so be patient) ;)

Nightowl805

Explorer
2 minutes, who's been talking lol

Status
Not open for further replies.