I have a question about slow web gui experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAJFAJV

Dabbler
So I'm of the impression reading other threads that realtek nics and freenas dont play nice. I happen to be the lucky owner of this type of nic and sure enough the webgui is extremely slow sometimes when connecting via windows browsers. So I tried my android phone and it is instant, no delay at all. I don't understand how it can be the fault of the servers nic then if my phone via wifi has no problems at all vs my windows desktop.

Could someone clearify?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

HAJFAJV

Dabbler
What version of FreeNAS are you using?
The RealTec NIC is not as fast for data transfer, not just the web GUI, actual file transfer is slower with them. What most people in your situation do is get an Intel NIC to go in one of the PCIe slots of the system. Easy and inexpensive performance boost.
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Gigabit-Network-Adapter-EXPI9301CTBLK/dp/B001CY0P7G

I'm on 11.1-U5 I don't know how everything works together but I tried downloading a torrent lastnight just to test Transmission and it was pretty quick 1-2mb/s
But if Freenas it self is going to work better with a dedicated nic I'm all ears.
The one you linked is that entry level? it seems really cheap compared to the other hardware.

gpsguy

The one you linked is that entry level? it seems really cheap compared to the other hardware.

That NIC is highly recommended. It's compatible with FreeNAS and works great.

jro

iXsystems
iXsystems
I'm on 11.1-U5 I don't know how everything works together but I tried downloading a torrent lastnight just to test Transmission and it was pretty quick 1-2mb/s
But if Freenas it self is going to work better with a dedicated nic I'm all ears.
A good 1Gbe NIC isn't expensive, but a bad embedded NIC is even less expensive and allows motherboard manufacturers to cut costs. For server applications (like FreeNAS), a good NIC is very worthwhile.

This may not solve your issue, but it's a good first step in the troubleshooting process, and even if it doesn't fix it, you'll get all the benefits of a solid NIC anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.