I can't install the last version of FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coşkun Deniz

Dabbler
1. I can't install version 8.3.1 onto an already installed version 8.0.4. When I choose usb while booting, installation menu does not appear and old(already installed) system is opening.

2. How can I add usb to bios. It only shows floppy.

3. Should I install a gui upgrade instead?

gpsguy

What did you install 8.0.4 on? Hard disk, flash drive, ??? If you don't want it to boot up - just disconnect it from the system.

I don't understand how you could "choose USB when booting", if your BIOS doesn't support it. Unless it's buried somewhere else. Try a "google search", on your motherboard model and "boot from usb". Do you have the latest version of the BIOS installed?

Rather than trying to upgrade, I'd backup your current configuration, do a fresh install of the latest OS to new media, and restore your configuration. If you have a problem, you can fall back to 8.0.4.

btw, please don't create duplicate message threads.

Coşkun Deniz

Dabbler
Thanks for replies.

Do you have the latest version of the BIOS installed?
- I don't know whether I have the latest version.
Rather than trying to upgrade, I'd backup your current configuration, do a fresh install of the latest OS to new media
- This is the main problem. We can't do a fresh install. After FreeNAS screen, installation menu does not appear.

gpsguy

What did you install 8.0.4 on? Hard disk, flash, ...

Coşkun Deniz

Dabbler
We have a NAS server including 6 128GB SSD disks on it. It is only running when usb is inserted on it, when extract usb it doesn't boot. Whatever it is, we need a way to see the installation menu and install the latest 8.3.1 version.

gpsguy

Ok, so your server can boot USB since that's what you have 8.0.4 installed on.

Back up your current config via the GUI

Get a new flash drive, either 4 or 8gb and install the latest full version of freenas on it. Boot from this one and restore your configuration.

Coşkun Deniz

Dabbler
Yes it can, I guess. I am using 8gb flash drive. Current config does not matter. I want a truly fresh install, but didn't understand why I can't see the installation menu.

gpsguy

The is no (new) installation menu on an installed system.

Please read section 2.6 of the manual for upgrade instructions.

What I was describing is covered in 2,6,4 since you'd still have the old working flash drive.

Coşkun Deniz

Dabbler
Extracting disks didn't work. I destroyed(deleted) the ada0 part, then I restarted. I finally saw the 8.3.1. version on gui, but usb is still on the machine. I didn't see the installation menu. I had written .img to usb flash drive using win32diskimager. Should I do any other thing for burning .img to usb or make usb bootable? Normally, it should boot and installation menu should appear.

gpsguy

You say "usb is still on the machine" and you "finally saw 8.3.1 version". I don't understand the problem.

If you wrote the .img file to the usb flash drive and booted it, you should see the 11 item console setup menu. Rather than doing an install, you dropped a bootable copy (running image) of the OS on the flash drive. You won't see an installation menu - there's nothing to install (you've already done it).

If you want to see the installation menu, burn the ISO to a CDrom and boot from it. If you don't have a CDrom in your server, use another pc. Boot from the CD (you'll see the installation menu) install it on your flash drive, and take it back to your server.

Either method above, will result in getting the OS installed on your flash drive.

Once the OS is installed, you can use the GUI to configure your system.

If this still doesn't answer your question, don't use the term "installation menu", in your reply. Describe what you're trying to accomplish - perhaps you want to configure something. And, don't realize it can be done from the GUI.

Coşkun Deniz

Dabbler
Thank you for your helps gpsguy. I want to install FreeNAS one of the disks on the system using usb. My server don't have a CDrom. I was using the image prepared for usb. I think I should use iso that prepared for cd and burn it to usb. Thank you again.

gpsguy

So, are you planning to install FreeNAS on one of your 128Gb SSD's?

FreeNAS will only use ~2Gb of space on the drive and the remaining space is basically unusable for anything else. If you do want to put it on an SSD, get a small one.

Status
Not open for further replies.