I broke my nextcloud, not sure where to go.

Hey fellas,

I took the most recent update for nextcloud (Truecharts Stable) and see to have broken it somehow.
It is stuck at 1/3 Deploying. I cant access the shell (error: unable to upgrade connection: container not found ("nextcloud")
If i force an update, it deploys in maintenance mode. if i turn off maintenance mode, it prompts for an update on the WebGUI but fails when it tried to update SMS_Relentless.
I cant figure out how to remove the sms_relentless application from nextcloud, as when i run commands in the applet shell, it hits a memory allocation error:
"Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 2097152 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 442368 bytes) in /var/www/html/3rdparty/composer/autoload_real.php on line 35"
the error occurs no matter what occ command i try to use.

TreuNAS Scale 22.02.2.1
Truecharts Stable version Nextcloud: 24.0.6_15.3.30

ANY help or pointing in the right direction is much appreciated. (I will point out, I am unfamiliar with Kubernetes and how to run commands externally directed internally to a container, but am not affraid to run them, just a general lack of know how)

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
For TrueCharts Aps, the better support channel is the TrueCharts Discord channel.

Migsi

Dabbler
Disclaimer: I refer to the TrueCharts app version of Nextcloud only.
Did you make any backups of the Nextcloud database? If you did, you could rollback to the state before the update. Then rollback the container. This once happened to me too. I had a backup to rollback to, thats why it was an easy fix.
For the future: note that Nextcloud updates can take a while, especially on slower systems. I'm not exactly sure why, but on my little NAS I once had to wait for almost 10 mins. I was worried something might have broken, which apparently was not the case, it ran just fine. Since then I don't get "worried" before 15 mins have passed.

Slightly off-topic: I'd love to see the TrueCharts Team provide basic, toggleable, automatic means to backup data from such applications. I partially understand why they say the users must take care of this themself, but a lot of people, for whatever reason, struggle with that. A simple hostStorage mapping would be enough, where let's say a daily pg_dump gets stored (always overwriting the previous one), when e.g. "perform automatic backups" is set at app installation...

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
when i run commands in the applet shell, it hits a memory allocation error:
You should be able to work around this by specifying a higher memory limit at the command line, like this: php -d memory_limit=512M occ upgrade

I made a restore guide. Might help in your worse-case-scenario.
i gave up and just created a new one. it wasnt in full use yet, so...

My prioblem, though, was that i had an app that wasnt updated (SMS_Relentless) when i went to do an update and it kind of just..broke.

Volkodav

Dabbler
Not the first time I hear that though. My upgrade to 25 failed too but with luckily the previous set up works. 2 weeks later I decided to take a risk and it went well flawlessly like any regular upgrade.

Last edited:

truecharts

Guru
Just hit the rollback button and revert to the previous version.

As stated in the recent announcement Nextcloud Major updates are tricky and hence considered "potentially breaking".

We've already delayed the release of Nextcloud 25 by 2 weeks, to give Nextcloud-App developers the time to update as well.
In 2023 we're planning to improve the testing of Nextcloud by adding a list of pre-validated nextcloud-apps (which we can somewhat guarantee) and giving more options to stay on older Nextcloud versions for longer.

Just hit the rollback button and revert to the previous version.

As stated in the recent announcement Nextcloud Major updates are tricky and hence considered "potentially breaking".

We've already delayed the release of Nextcloud 25 by 2 weeks, to give Nextcloud-App developers the time to update as well.
In 2023 we're planning to improve the testing of Nextcloud by adding a list of pre-validated nextcloud-apps (which we can somewhat guarantee) and giving more options to stay on older Nextcloud versions for longer.
Rollback didn't work in my instance.
I'm not exactly sure how it broke, and couldn't get it up and running again (read: not TrueCharts fault). I've decided since to not run apps in nextcloud as the use I need it for is simple online storage/syncing across devices. I was also running some none-standard apps. So. All in all, totally my fault. And ultimately not that big a deal. (Don't run cutting edge software on mission critical parts :) )

Volkodav

Dabbler
Make sure your appinfo/info.xml allows for Nextcloud 25.

<dependencies>
<nextcloud min-version="22" max-version="25" />
</dependencies>
Is this issue that they report is addressed in our upgrade process?

truecharts

Guru
Yup, thats what i ended up doing :)

Can you post what steps @truecharts had you do? Hopefully to save future tinkerers from borking theirs.\

Sadly enough we do not offer support here at all.
Nor is the person on this account (limited to the core team), necessarily the person who handled this support ticket.

So without going through all the many tickets, there is nothing we can say.
All tickets are public and if there is a general advisory, we're mostly throwing those out when we can. This issue does not seem to have been such a case.

Sadly enough we do not offer support here at all.
Nor is the person on this account (limited to the core team), necessarily the person who handled this support ticket.

So without going through all the many tickets, there is nothing we can say.
All tickets are public and if there is a general advisory, we're mostly throwing those out when we can. This issue does not seem to have been such a case.
i was not asking specifically for truecharts to tell us what was done, I was asking the poster to report what you guys asked him to do that ended up fixing it.

I recognize that you do not offer support here, however, as you were mentioned as the entity that helped resolve his issue, i thought it might be pertinent to tag you in this line of conversation, as you MIGHT have something to add...