I am getting 0/0/1000324 Errors on my Badblocks Test. Is that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike360x1

Contributor
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to FreeNAS but I have done my share of research and prep. I know that one should do a burn in test before putting drives in production. So I followed this guide. Unfortunately thou, being the eager beaver I was, I plugged the drives in and set them up in a pool before I initiated my burn in test. (the forum post never said anything about not mounting them in a pool)

So I ran the short and long smart test on my devices and the started a badblocks test after the previous smart tests completed. I noticed a lot of errors in the form of 0/0/99147 during my last test. I searched this up and noticed that it was alot of corruption errors. Could that be due to FreeNAS writing to the pool as badblocks is running its test?
[Note: the drives are 100% new]

So, I have a few questions about this:
1. Will SMART still be able to passively detect errors? (even with the drives mounted as a pool?)
2. Do I have to redo my badblocks test?
3. Was it the cause of mounting drives as a pool? (If not, what are the other likely causes for so many corruption errors

TL;DR: I unknowingly ran a burn in test with my drives setup in a pool. During the test, Badblocks spit out errors like 0/0/99147 (During the 4th test on a 3TB drive). Is this really bad?

Thanks in advance,
Michael L.

Dice

Wizard
Could that be due to FreeNAS writing to the pool as badblocks is running its test?
IIRC - yes.
2. Do I have to redo my badblocks test?
I would definitely do.
I believe the you'll need to deattach the current pool, or destroy it (if that is easier) for you.

mike360x1

Contributor
What exact command did you use for badblocks testing?
I heard that Badblocks sometimes has a bad time testing large capacity drives (>1TB) so, to fix that, I used this command:

badblocks -b 3072 -ws /dev/adaX

mike360x1

Contributor
IIRC - yes.

I would definitely do.
I believe the you'll need to deattach the current pool, or destroy it (if that is easier) for you.

Bummer... But doesn't S.M.A.R.T passively detect errors while badblocks is running? So no matter what data badblocks is writing, if S.M.A.R.T can verify the block is OK then I shouldn't have a problem right?

maglin

Patron
Just destroy the pool and run bad block test again. Start one for each drive so it doesn't take you a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spearfoot

He of the long foot

Dice

Wizard
Bummer... But doesn't S.M.A.R.T passively detect errors while badblocks is running? So no matter what data badblocks is writing, if S.M.A.R.T can verify the block is OK then I shouldn't have a problem right?
S.M.A.R.T would still work as usual.
But, there is another level of confidence in knowing that drives pass the badblocks test, doing what they are supposed to.
A badblocks test that provides some errors, would not necessarily cause SMART tests to "fail".

Status
Not open for further replies.