I accidentally destroyed my pool

throny

Cadet
Hey,
complete dumbass here. I guess, I just destroyed my pool.
I had a 3x3TB RAIDZ1 VDEV and one disk was faulty. Got my hands on 3x4TB.

Now is where I messed up: I took the faulty disk offline, removed it physically and put the 3x4TB in. Now, I just told TrueNAS to extend the pool with the 3x4TB drives, resulting in a new RAIDZ1 VDEV.
However, I still got the first VDEV which is degraded. If I understood correctly, my first 3TB-RAIDZ1 is at risk for data loss.

Any way to move everything from 3TB-VDEV to the 4TB-VDEV and destroy the 3TB one? Or am I completely out of luck here?

This is how it looks like:
image.png

If I could just recreate the whole pool, I would probably go 2x3TB Stripe + 3x4TB RAIDZ1. But how would I do that without loosing data?

If I had another SATA slot and space for a new drive, I would just run to the store and throw a new 3 TB in. But that's unfortunately not an option.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It's not destroyed, only degraded. So far for the good news. But you will need to find some storage capacity somewhere for a full backup and recreate your pool, yes.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Any way to move everything from 3TB-VDEV to the 4TB-VDEV and destroy the 3TB one? Or am I completely out of luck here?
Yea, your screwed yourself in a manner of speaking. your data is still there but you need to back it all up, then destroy your pool and recreate it. Then you can restore your data. Thankfully you didn't pull a good drive and replace it, I thought that is where this was going.

But do the backup very soon, you can't afford to wait. Backup the important stuff first.

throny

Cadet
My actual plan is now: Taking offline 1 drive of the 4TB-Pool and put it in a single-drive pool. Then migrate everything to this one disk and destroy the initial pool. Then just create a new pool with 2x3TB, move everything to the pool, destroy the 1x4TB pool and create a new 3x4TB VDEV in this pool.
Is that a good way? Whats the best way to do this?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Is that a good way? Whats the best way to do this?
If you can pull it off without destroying the wrong pool, it sounds like it may work. But to be honest, and this is just me speaking about what I'd do, I would not touch the pool, not until I've backed it all up. But you may not have the means to copy that data to another unused drive. I I suggest is that you are very careful.

Best of luck to you. Take your time and do it right or you will be missing data.

systract

Dabbler
If I understand correctly, you took the faulty disk offline, removed it physically and put the one new 4TB in, so the other two disks are still the original 3TB ones?
If so, you can just right click on the 4TB disk to force replace, the server will let the pool resilver.
After that you can replace other two disks one by one with same procedure.

then you can expand your capacity.
https://www.truenas.com/community/t...-show-the-new-expanded-size-free-size.102827/

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
@systract They put three 4 TB disks in and added all of them as a second vdev instead of replacing the faulty drive.

throny

Cadet
Yup, learned the hard way. No best practices used. Next time I will just replace + resilver them one by one. But at least it looks like everything is working. Successfully migrated to the 1-disk-4TB pool and right now migrating to the 2x3TB Mirror. :)
Thank you, guys!