Hyper-V Disk not showing up in pool, expected behavior?

tony95

Contributor
I would suggest that you find a way to pass a whole controller to the NAS OS. If you don't, I think you are setting yourself up for failure.

We have seen it happen before. It isn't a matter of if it will happen, just when...
What have you seen before? As long as I have 6 disks intact I can move them anywhere and recover my data. I am not understanding the risk.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That works if the controller is passed through, but have you tried to take the disks out of hyper-v and connect them to a physical host? One of the things we have seen is that the hypervisor mangles that data so the NAS OS can't use it. Do some searching on the forum.

tony95

Contributor
I did test it with a few virtual hard drives no problem, this guy did it with VMWare (link below). I am pretty sure the VM doesn't do anything to the disks. I also removed and re-added 2 drives and no problems. If something goes wrong I will let you know, but this box will be going for a while I think. If it does, that would suck, but I will live. It is not mission critical or anything.