Hyper-V Disk not showing up in pool, expected behavior?

tony95

Contributor
So I just set up a 8x8GB z2 Pool and it is fast. I was concerned that it wasn't actually z2 because it is very fast with writes. I am copying 3 other 8GB disks to it at near full speed. So I removed two disks from Hyper-V and the pool went offline. When I looked at the pool I was only seeing 5 disks but I only remove 2 of 8 so I should have a working zpool of 6 disks. On my Hyper-V SCSCI controller I saw the missing disk was #8 and the removed disks were #6 and #7. So I moved disk #8 to to #6 on my SCSI controller and the disk came back online and so did my zpool. Is this expected behavior? Does TrueNAS stop looking for disks when it finds one SCSCI port not in use? I am guessing this is something that should be resolved in a future update, correct?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
So I removed two disks from Hyper-V
I'm not sure how this relates to your situation... are you running TrueNAS on top of Hvper-V? If that's true, how are you passing the disks through? and have you taken this into account? : https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/

When I looked at the pool I was only seeing 5 disks but I only remove 2 of 8 so I should have a working zpool of 6 disks.
Could you share zpool status -v and zpool list -v to help us see what you're talking about?

tony95

Contributor
I'm not sure how this relates to your situation... are you running TrueNAS on top of Hvper-V? If that's true, how are you passing the disks through? and have you taken this into account? : https://www.truenas.com/community/t...ide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data.12714/

Could you share zpool status -v and zpool list -v to help us see what you're talking about?

Yes, the disks are attached to Hyper-V as physical disks. Hyper-V has a SCSI controller and you can add physical disks to it, I am not using virtual disks. It might be Hyper-V dropping the disks, I am not sure. I would need to test in another OS to find out if it is the same behavior. Everything is in the zpool now so no point in showing it, just that the #8 controller disk was missing when I removed #6 and #7 and came back when I moved the #8 disk up in the controller list.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Yes, the disks are attached to Hyper-V as physical disks. Hyper-V has a SCSI controller and you can add physical disks to it, I am not using virtual disks.
Just be aware that it's not the same as adding the disk controller to TrueNAS and would be considered as not production safe by this forum. Strange/unexpected/bad behavior is therefore no surprise to us.

In order to virtualize in a way that would be considered safe, you need to pass an entire physical controller into the VM and use only disks attached to it (except for the OS disk, which could be virtual if needed).

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is this expected behavior? Does TrueNAS stop looking for disks when it finds one SCSCI port not in use?
You are using a virtualization layer. It is NOT how TrueNAS behaves on real hardware. I have two systems at work where I am going through replacing old drives with new drives (physical servers) and pulling drives from a pool does not take the pool offline. If you are using swap, it can cause some unexpected behavior, but that is another question.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Yes, the disks are attached to Hyper-V as physical disks. Hyper-V has a SCSI controller and you can add physical disks to it, I am not using virtual disks. It might be Hyper-V dropping the disks, I am not sure. I would need to test in another OS to find out if it is the same behavior. Everything is in the zpool now so no point in showing it, just that the #8 controller disk was missing when I removed #6 and #7 and came back when I moved the #8 disk up in the controller list.
This is a dangerous method of configuring FreeNAS / TrueNAS and you stand a good chance of loosing any data you put in the ZFS pool by building it this way.

Is this for testing or something you plan to use operationally?

If you can give us some information to go on, we can make some suggestions.

tony95

Contributor
You are using a virtualization layer. It is NOT how TrueNAS behaves on real hardware. I have two systems at work where I am going through replacing old drives with new drives (physical servers) and pulling drives from a pool does not take the pool offline. If you are using swap, it can cause some unexpected behavior, but that is another question.
Yeah, I need to look at Hyper-V, it maybe be happening there and not in TrueNAS.

tony95

Contributor
This is a dangerous method of configuring FreeNAS / TrueNAS and you stand a good chance of loosing any data you put in the ZFS pool by building it this way.

Is this for testing or something you plan to use operationally?

If you can give us some information to go on, we can make some suggestions.
Why is this dangerous? TrueNAS should have almost native access to the drives.

sretalla