HW guidance

GKermit

Cadet
Got hold of a new machine for little money. Unfortunately only SFF slots and want to keep the LFF disks from the old machine I currently is running truenas scale on.

Found out about DAS/JBOD enclosures and tried to search the forum but couldn't find any clear guide what works, what doesn't or a how-to.
So what do I need or better where could I find some basic reading?
Seems to be some decent priced jbod"s on eBay, but I guess I need some card/controller to connect to the external enclosure.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The only "safe" way to connect multiple disks in a single external chassis is via SAS. You'd need a SAS HBA (LSI/Avago/Broadcom 2008/2308/3008) in your NAS, and then a SAS cable from there to the JBOD. Straightforward enough, and the HBAs are reasonably-priced on eBay. For more information, see:
and

GKermit

Cadet
Understand the concept of HBA and run a lsi hba in the current server.

I found a cheap FUJITSU JX40 S2 that are possible to ship to Sweden for a decent amount.
Datasheet says a sff-8644 connector in IO module. What makes me concerned is the IO module (which seems to be present in most jbod enclosures).
What makes me concerned is will these "io modules" give direct access for my hba card?
Power-up/down sequence ?

Found this thread that's seems addressing this
In some way. Looks like I should be able to reuse my old chassis as a "jbod"
https://www.truenas.com/community/threads/best-practices-when-dealing-with-jbod-disk-shelves.107393/

Arwen

MVP
Here is are 2 examples of external SAS / SATA disk enclosures. Note I have no connection to the manufacturer, nor have used the product;

Also note, don't buy or consider this vendor's external RAID enclosures with TrueNAS. It's highly not recommended.

Arwen

MVP
I guess those are not the way to go as no direct access from HBA controller
Correct, external RAID enclosures, even if wired to a HBA, are not recommended.

But, simple JBOD enclosures, like the 2 I linked, are fine. And do work with a HBA, which has external connector(s).