HW dead - what if

Status
Not open for further replies.

skurt

Dabbler
Hi,
I have a what if situation.

You have a build, on it FreeNAS and on it some data. Now you build dies. Every component, but the drives, those are OK.
So you make a new build, completely blank.
You have new build and the original drives that are perfectly fine.

Can you tell me the set of steps you'd have to follow to gain back access to your data?
Thank you

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hi,
I have a what if situation.

You have a build, on it FreeNAS and on it some data. Now you build dies. Every component, but the drives, those are OK.
So you make a new build, completely blank.
You have new build and the original drives that are perfectly fine.

Can you tell me the set of steps you'd have to follow to gain back access to your data?
Thank you
If your boot device is not broken and the data drives are also not broken, you can simply install those drives in another hardware platform and boot it. The most you would need to do is change the IP address. FreeNAS does hardware detection during boot, so you don't even need to reinstall the OS.

adrianwi

Guru
I think he said the same as garm, only using the same boot device and therefore not needing to reload the configuration. Oh, and a few more words :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I think he said the same as garm, only using the same boot device and therefore not needing to reload the configuration. Oh, and a few more words :D
I use many words.
Not sure what to take from your answer :/
The point is that the installation of FreeNAS is portable to a new hardware platform. If your system board fails, you don't need to worry that your existing installation of FreeNAS will not boot on a different system board. If the boot drive fails, you might need to reinstall the operating system, but if the boot drive is not failed, there is no need to reinstall the FreeNAS software.

anmnz

Patron
The point is that the installation of FreeNAS is portable to a new hardware platform. If your system board fails, you don't need to worry that your existing installation of FreeNAS will not boot on a different system board.
I would worry, though, because OP also said in a nearby thread:
I guess I solved #1 by finding a PC setup with RAID support. Free Nas can be installed on that machine, since I found a guy who did it.
So I can be blissfully ignorant about what exactly is 'doing' that RAID. Too bad, but I can work with that.
Which sounds like a recipe for data-loss-on-hardware-failure to me.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
@anmnz Yes. I didn't see the other post.
@skurt There is absolutely NO hardware RAID controller that should even be considered for use with FreeNAS. The filesystem, ZFS, handles all the redundancy. Access to the drives needs to be direct.

adrianwi

Guru
by the Head of Sales at Synology :D

Status
Not open for further replies.