HP Network Scan Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

incnr8r

Cadet
Hey everyone and in advice thanks for you're help. I currently have a Freenas box running AFP with no permissions set everything is set to guest. I would like to map my HP Printer scan folder to the Freenas server. I have tried multiple different ways of setting it up along with trying to setup SMB protocol yet still it will not map. I am including the screenshots of what the HP software is looking for, can someone guide me?

Screen Shot 2013-01-23 at 4.34.42 PM.jpg

cyberjock

Inactive Account
FreeNAS is meant to be a file server. SMB is not the way to share a printer(SMB is for files only) and I don't think FreeNAS has the necessary software to share a printer. If it does then great, but you'd likely have to find FreeBSD drivers for your printer. From my experience with trying to get FreeBSD to use printers unless its an expensive commercial/industrial printer you shouldn't expect the companies to provide a FreeBSD driver.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Cyberjock,
The OP was not asking about using his FreeNAS box as a print server.
The question was asking about mapping the SCANNING function of the Printer to a shared folder on the FreeNAS box.

SMB not capable of sharing printers???? What the what?? Perhaps you should familiarize yourself a little more. You might want to start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)
Samba services are implemented as two daemons:
smbd, which provides the file and printer sharing services, and
nmbd, which provides the NetBIOS-to-IP-address name service. NetBIOS over TCP/IP requires some method for mapping NetBIOS computer names to the IP addresses of a TCP/IP network.

To the OP, it is quite simple. You need to setup a CIFS/SMB share on your FreeNAS box. If it doesnt matter if your data is publicly accessible over the LAN, then you can set a share to guest access so that there is no authentication required. As for setting up the printer it is simply a matter of
\\IP.ADDRESS.OF.FREENAS\shared\Folder\Path\
and as I said, if you do not need to hide the scans from your LAN, you can forego the authentication login. If you do want to authenticate, I would create an account only for the printer and configure the permissions on the CIFS/SMB share

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, I stand corrected. I'm curious as to how that works in Windows(or if it even works). I didn't see that he was trying to map the folder. His real issue is with setting up a file share. Once he has a Z:\ or whatever he can simply point to that folder.

incnr8r

Cadet
Still no go...

Cyber, yes you nailed it as I was not trying to setup a printer share, just a shared folder to scan to using the Freenas Box. So I have tried and still no dice. Set the SMB to guest and I believe entered the path correctly including the SS, thanks for the continued help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.56.04 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.56.04 AM.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 781
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.55.54 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.55.54 AM.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 691

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
on your windows computer, browse to the ip of your server using windows explorer, run, whatever
\\192.168.1.19
is there really a folder there called mnt?
based on your screenshot, you are trying to map to the /mnt directory, but unless /mnt is an actual share on your cifs/smb config, you are going to the wrong path

BobJ

Dabbler
Old post but since I just bought a HP 477FNW Color Laser/scanner I had the same issues. Here is how I got it to work on Nas4free.

1. Make a new user called hpscan with a password and guest access

2. Make a folder called HP SCANS. Use the folder option to make sure its read write for all. (later you can restrict it) you just want to get it working for now.

3. On the NAS set up SMB settings then create a SMB share
4. In a web browser, type in ip of your HP printer/scanner.
ie. 10.0.0.62

The path should be the netbios name/smb share name

Do not use the actual path listed for the NAS server.
Use netbios name.
ie.
da36418bf8.png

b4ff51082e.png

DON’T USE /mnt/ZPoolToshiba/HP SCANS

Use this ==>>> \\DELL_NAS\HP Scans

This worked for me, Good Luck!

Another way to verify the path is to see if you can access that share from a windows machine. Don't map a network letter to it just use the windows 10 network view and it should list it. If you can browse to it with file manager then you can see the correct path but clicking in the file managers path line at the top.
4b599f18a0.png

Included are some of the configuration pictures.
7648768549.png

Last edited:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
The setup details will be very similar on FreeNAS, and it's nice to have a known-working setup.

Alice

Cadet
BobJ,

I have exactly the same problem with XeroxWorkCentre Scanning. I set up a CIFS/SMB share folder on Nas4Free with guest access enabled which is accessible on the Windows network. But whenever I try to scan to it there is a login failure. My problem is that I don't know what it means to set up a user with a guest account. You say you created a user hpscan with guest access? How? Many thanks in advance.

BobJ

Dabbler
Here is my user i created in Nas4free
44c358ad2a.png

Go to that folder and give access to everyone. Maybe its a permission error. This will get rid of any permission errors. You can lock it down later, just for testing.
9bbf0fe1c4.png

I don't know the setup of the zerox it could be on that end. Maybe you are giving it incorrect path. I used \\DELL_NAS\HP Scans from my printers set up.
Printer has to send a username and password.

Hope you get it working.

Alice

Cadet
Many thanks, BobJ. That's extremely helpful.
I'll give it another go - I don't have access to the Nas4Free at
the moment, so I'll definitely let you know when I am back in the office
in about 10 days' time/ Yes, the printer has to send the username and password. Xerox has a template for the scan which has various options for logins - I am not sure how that works, but I'll have to experiment.

Alice

Cadet
Hello BobJ, it's me again.
I've been pondering this and I think my problem is with the way the XeroxWorkCentre printer is set up. The scanning is set up with two templates: file repository template and user template. The file repository template looks like this:
1.png

And the user template looks like this (it's without username and password, using the login credentials from the file repository template):
3.png

It would seem that this will cause problems for me.

BobJ

Dabbler
Its probably an incorrect document path.
staff/tech/scans
try to browse to the path from a windows machine. See what unc path it uses. I gave an example in earlier post.
c59fc2dad7.png

DON’T USE Staff/tech/scans

Use the unc path. \\xxxx\scans (or what it shows you in file manager unc in my example)
on my syestem I used \\DELL_NAS\HP Scans

Alice

Cadet
Thanks. The screenshots above are not mine, I took them from a website. I do not use that path in any case. I always check if I can get to the shared folders - there has never been any problem with that. So it would seem that I do have a problem getting the login names right. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it. I'll certainly let you know one way or another. Incidentally, do you (or your users) always scan to the folder as hpscan?
And when you view the shared folder from your Windows machine, do you view it as Bob user, not as hpscan?

BobJ

Dabbler
Thanks. The screenshots above are not mine, I took them from a website. I do not use that path in any case. I always check if I can get to the shared folders - there has never been any problem with that. So it would seem that I do have a problem getting the login names right. Hopefully I'll get to the bottom of it. I'll certainly let you know one way or another. Incidentally, do you (or your users) always scan to the folder as hpscan?
And when you view the shared folder from your Windows machine, do you view it as Bob user, not as hpscan?

I can view that folder on any computer that has permission to access the NAS so no it does not have to be user hpscan. The folder is set to allow everyone on my NAS view it.

When I test out a new piece of hardware I like to turn off everything and give it full access. That way I can get it working and not have to worry about firewalls, permission. Then once I know it works then I add permissions after. Just saves me time debugging.

I did not have unc proper path and it did not work and did not give me an error letting me know it was just improper path nomenclature. Seems simple once you know it.

If you can view the folder read and write to it from a windows machine then it should work with the printer if the paths and permission are correct. But if the permission are set to read but not write you might get an error from the printer which does not tell you exactly what went wrong.
So double check the user name and password
double check that it has write permission (it will error there too)
you can just force that folder to allow everyone read write for testing.

Its not very intuitive getting it up and running as I have seen many people having issues.

Alice

Cadet
Hello BobJ,
well, I have to report that unfortunately I haven't made any progress. I made sure I set up the Scanner user as guest and gave permissions to veryone exactly as you said. I can access the folder on my Windows machine (and everybody else can too) - there is no problem with that. The scanner does not complete the job - it consistently says that there is a login error. I am really despairing over this. Xerox support is not good because they don't know how to deal with this.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Alice

Cadet
This is a long shot but I was wondering about port 445. Xerox documentation says that this port has to be open.
Is this open by default in nas4free? I tried to find any information on this but failed.

Alice

Cadet
BobJ,
Please, disregard everything I said - the unbelievable has happened. All I had to do was to give an IP address instead of the NetBios name - and et voila, the scans did work all of a sudden. I still can't believe it.
Many thanks for your support!

Status
Not open for further replies.