howto increase root file system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyber7

Cadet
Hi Guys
Great to be using the all new release8.01...

I have a question: After upgrading to 8.0.1, my root filesystem has run over-space. (It shows 101% full)...

How do I increase this? I also re-installed the release 8 and then 8.0.1 and can not find anywhere a place to do a manual disk configuration.

Kind regards
Aubrey Kloppers
South Africa

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi cyber7,

I think the short answer is you don't. There isn't any mechanism in the install that would allow you to adjust the OS disk size.

Pretty much all the installer does is write out a string of bits to the disk, much like when you burn an .iso to a CD.

That said, you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you don't try to add more software to it. All the volatile stuff like your settings & the reporting data is saved off to a different partition on the key.

-Will

cyber7

Cadet
Thank you Will,
I do have a problem with this, though. I am busy migrating a release 0.7.2 to 8.0.1 (The reason for .1 is I need the cron option) and I have custom scripts running from the /scripts directory to do rsync backups. I basically use the FreeNAS environment as a Backup server. (Well, it is a bit more complex than that, but this is not the place to discuss it. :))

Because I use rsync to many machines I am scared the FS will run out of space (root fs). I do create quite a lot of custom keys for handshaking and as I said, all my scripts run from /scripts and to change all these is a pain in the you-know-what!

Thanks and I hope there will be a solution increasing the root fs space problem.

Kind regards
Aubrey Kloppers

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi cyber7,

Yes, I think the solution, to be blunt, is to not upgrade.

Either that or adjust your scripts to point to somewhere on the actual storage where you should have plenty of room.

You could also compile your own release using the instructions here:

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Test_Upcoming_Versions

but if you do that you will have to do it for each release, every time you want to update.

-Will

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi cyber7,

Just how odd\specialized are your rsync jobs? Is there any reason you can't use the built in rsync function?

If you have specific needs it might make sense to open a ticket describing the functionality you need so you can move your jobs into a supported framework that will "just work" in FreeNAS going forward.

-Will

cyber7

Cadet
ok boys and girls.
Here is the perfect problem:
Trying to add PERL I run out of space. This is TOTALLY unacceptable for an OS to be locked out of adding packages...

just my 10c
Aubrey Kloppers

jfr2006

Contributor
Do like me: compile your own version of freenas, where you can define the final size of the usb stick ;) You have instructions on how to do it in this forum ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.