Howdy Howdy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
I've been around computers for the past 20 years-- queue memories of my 50 Mhz Packard Bell 486/DX2 computer and making electronic schematics in MS Paint. HAHA! I'm comfortable with personal computers. I've built and upgraded many of them. However, I've never really gotten into servers and networking and now find the need for both.

My wife and I started a photography business last year. I thought a 1 TB drive would last a few years, but it's full now. To backup, I've been using Windows Backup to an external drive over eSATA. I'm now at a crossroads of devising a new storage/backup plan. I'm entertaining two options:

1. Pull the 1 TB drive and put it on a shelf until I need to access data on it. Replace the 1 TB drive with another for new jobs. Continue backing up to an external drive.
2. Build a NAS server and easily access all our 'old' data and backup all our 'new' data over a network.

#1 has been a pain. I'm lazy about popping drives in and out to perform backups (we have 2 personal photo drives as well). And that leads me to #2. I originally was just going to buy a Synology because I don't have much free time to build my on server, but then I did a lot of reading about freeNAS and saw this awesome community and decided to go for it. Plus, I think it's an awesome learning opportunity :)

So here I am. I put together a couple of builds after reading through these forums. Hope to post them here shortly for your feedback. I look forward to being a part of this community!

EDIT: Here's my 'build' post! https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...o-atx-with-8-drives-advice-appreciated.25667/

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Welcome to the forums and FreeNAS.

If you simply want a no fuss no muss type of NAS, you have come to the right spot. Synology is a great product but the cost is a bit high if you want to pay for the same high speed throughput. When you factor in the costs minus the hard drives, FreeNAS wins hands down. Make sure you know exactly what you expect of the server and buy accordingly. We all recommend a RAIDZ2 setup and I recommend that when you figure out the capacity of your system, ensure you add for future capacity and use the RAID calculator (see my tag line link).

Good Luck.

ninjarobert

Dabbler
Thanks for the welcome joeschmuck. That calculator is perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.