How we can fix the forum..

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So I was chatting with another senior poster(I will let him remain anonymous unless he steps forward). He told me to sign up for an account at www.insanelymac.com. So I did. Typical stuff.. username..password..email.. wait for validation email... but then wait a minute.

I can't post! Why can't I post? The webpage says:

To begin posting in the 'New Users Lounge' you must first have passed the OSx86 Part 1 quiz. International languages are available!

Hey! I like this. So let's take this tantalizing exam and see what its all about?

Before I go further, let me say that its a timed test. Yes, you get 130 seconds to complete this little exam. AND.. there's a part 1 and part 2.

OSx86 Part 1
Basic computer knowledge for new users to the forum. Allows posting in the New Users Lounge

What does EFI mean?
-Electronic Fuel Injection
-Extensible Firmware Interface
-Energy Federation Incorporated

Which of the following is an internal component of a hard disk drive?
-Platter
-Motherboard
-Laser

What is the OSx86 Project?
-A forum for people who want to develop iOS Apps
-A way to get a cheap Mac replacement
-A hobby project for trying to install OS X on non Mac Hardware

IRC is a common abbreviation for which of the following?
-Internet Response Channel
-Internet Relay Channel
-Internet Relay Chat

Which one of the following CDs can be erased?
-CD-ROM
-CD-RW
-CD-R

What does BIOS stand for?
-Basic input/output system
-Biological Innovation for Open Society
-A type of biological food

How many bits in a byte?

WWW stands for which of the following?
-War Wild Web
-Worm Wind Web
-World Wide Web

What is another name for a motherboard?
-Fatherboard
-System board
-Main system

Who was one of the original founders of Apple Inc?
-Steve Jobs
-Bill Gates
-Jerry Yang

Which kind of partition do you need in order to install OS X?
-Extended
-Primary, active
-Logical

When we shut down a computer we lose which of the following?
-RAM data
-ROM data
-HD data

What is a link?
-A web protocol
-A kind of internet connection
-A hypertext function

Do note that these questions change from a large bank of questions. The first time I failed it on purpose just to see what it would do. It told me:

Failed

You achieved a score of 2/13. Unfortunately a score of 10/13 is necessary to pass the quiz. Keep reading and try again!

So I went and took my test. Got 12/13. I'd say pretty good since one of them I had to guess on because I'm not a mac person at all. Now I can post to the "New Users Lounge".

Oh, but what about the rest of the forum! For that.. you have to take Part 2 of the exam! It looks like 20 questions and you are given 190 seconds to complete the exam. You must score 16/20 to post in the rest of the forum.

So admins.. why can't we implement something like this? Now that I know that their forum isn't filled with BS posts from people that didn't want to take 5 minutes to search I'm actually going to go look at what their project is all about. It sure sounds like a "No-BS" project to me(my favorite).

Now, I realize that this forum is multi-lingual. So why not have a system like this setup where only the international languages are unlocked by default. If you want to post to the "noobie" section you must pass part 1 of the exam. Anyone that posts to any non-English topics and they aren't in said language has their post removed and banned for 7 days(this could be clearly mentioned in the rules you are supposed to read when you sign up). Second offense is permanent ban. If you want to post in the other sections you must complete a second part 2. Or even just have 1 exam that unlocks everything.

But surely this can be implemented. I'm hearing that this discussion was brought up over a year ago when other senior posters were getting tired of the repeated posts. Apparently a lot of them just said "screw it" and left. Well, what do you know. Nothing changed and here we are...still getting complaints about the same lame posts.

So can we have a discussion about this again? Cause I'm to the "screw it" phase myself. I have some cool presentations I'd love to post, but I'm not going to post them if I can expect a bunch of people to still ignore my presentations. My first presentation has been a great success. Its a sticky on the noob section and I can't tell you how many people are referred to that every week despite the fact that they had to see the sticky to post in the section. I know for a fact that I'm not the first one to choose to not post presentations(or remove presentations they had previously posted) because they're sick of people's ignorance.

To quote my coffee mug: Stop being a prisoner of the past. Become the architect of your future.

nogi

Explorer
For the opening of new threads, on submit take users to a confirm submit page. On this page, present a search result based on the thread about to be posted.

ProtoSD

MVP
For the opening of new threads, on submit take users to a confirm submit page. On this page, present a search result based on the thread about to be posted.

Nice idea but harder to implement. The "quiz" approach is a plugin AFAIK. I think your suggestion might cause some thread hijacking, or people will just ignore the search result like they do with the other resources.

ProtoSD

MVP
So I was chatting with another senior poster(I will let him remain anonymous unless he steps forward). He told me to sign up for an account at www.insanelymac.com. So I did. Typical stuff.. username..password..email.. wait for validation email... but then wait a minute.

I can't post! Why can't I post? The webpage says:

Hey! I like this. So let's take this tantalizing exam and see what its all about?

Hmmm, wonder who that other poster was..... ;)

I'm not sure if it's worth my effort to search and find the other thread this was discussed in, but thanks for taking the time to post this. Who knows what bureaucracy is preventing this from being implemented... :rolleyes:

Maybe someone should drop a suggestion in Matt-O's box......

joeschmuck

Old Man
This doesn't sound like a bad idea provided it's well thought out. I'm not sure what minimum level of knowledge someone must have in order to post a question for help, assuming they have tried to use the manual because you do not want to shun a new user from asking a valid question. All the would breed is a bad reputation for the forum and FreeNAS. So here is a suggestion, off the cuff of course... Allow anyone to join without a questionnaire or maybe a minimal one that asks forum rules, after they of course read the forum rules. This would allow them read permission of the forum. Maybe a basic questionnaire on FreeNAS setup to allow Noob questions. And finally some more advanced questions for the rest of the forum topics.

I would say anyone with *** number of posts already be grandfathered in, but I'd still like to take the test or at least see the questions.

Just some inputs if this should ever take off the ground.

ProtoSD

MVP
... Allow anyone to join without a questionnaire
I would say anyone with *** number of posts already be grandfathered in, but I'd still like to take the test or at least see the questions.

Just some inputs if this should ever take off the ground.

People can still join and read without doing the questionnaire, it just doesn't allow people to post until they've read the rules and can demonstrate they've read the FAQ.

It doesn't affect existing users unless the admin wants people to acknowledge some new feature/rule. I've seen this in several forums.

We can workout the process, it's just getting the plugin for the forums installed so it can be done.

fracai

Guru
Regardless of whether this is implemented (I'm of mixed opinions on whether this would improve post quality or just discourage potential new users), we could start posting possible questions. "Peer review" here might help with the alienation problem.

How do you install FreeNAS?
- Download the latest Operating System image, write it to a thumb drive that will be attached to your machine.
- Write the OS image to a thumb drive, boot the machine, and select install from the menu
- To install FreeNAS from scratch, you must first invent the Universe.
- Purchase an installation CD and use the bootable installer to partition and install to your data drives

Which methods should not be used to increase your useable space on your system?
- Replace each existing drive with a larger drive
- Add an additional set of disks as a new pool
- Add an additional set of disks as a new VDEV
- Add a drive to an existing mirror VDEV
- Add a drive to an existing RAIDZ VDEV

If you have to ask, which should never be enabled?
- Compression
- Deduplication
- Snapshots
- Scrubs
- SMART status

I'm sure these could be better worded, but they're the ones that came to mind as always coming up.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
I guess this is a too much offensive approach and few questions will not eliminate the rest of the (dummy) questions, but might be wrong.

Anyway, there is a way how to *force* people to provide needed information right at the time of posting their thread. It can be different for each forum section. This could be achieved via forms and with proper configuration, it is very helpful thing. Also it might give us more opportunities in different things, like posting of our builds in the same look, ... etc.

Form looks like this:

And the output is standard thread:

(Ignore that dark template, screens were taken from my forum :] )

It is not limited only on "textfied", also check boxes, dropdown menu, radiobuttons, ... etc could be used.

So mandatory fields like:
- FreeNAS versions (textfield)
- HW configuration (multiline text field or several textfields mered to one in output)
- Dedup enabled? (yes/no)
- Used filesystem (checkboxes for zfs, ufs,... )
- Did you read FreeNAS Documentation? (Yes/No ... in case of "No" ... red message like "then go and RTFM !!" could appear ^^ ) //edit: I am kidding off course with that message :]
- .... etc

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I see the forum questionnaire doing 3 things.

1. If you really have no clue what you are doing, you shouldn't be using FreeNAS. Sorry, but its true. FreeBSD is unforgiving when it comes to doing stupid things, like adding a single drive to a RAIDZ2. If people can't post they might be less likely to use FreeNAS until they have the required knowledge and it might save them from losing their data in a dumb mistake. It never helps a project when people claim they lost their data due to the project and not their own ignorance.
2. People that don't work in IT shouldn't really be using FreeBSD/FreeNAS without doing their homework. I rarely see people asking questions before the build(aside from hardware). Most of the posts are the build and they did something wrong.
3. If someone gets in over their head it may push them to contact ixsystems for a contract. While not altogether bad, it at least saves the forum from 5 pages of us asking to do a "zpool status" and they're asking where to type it, what "SSH" is, and stuff of that sort. Plus, it might save the data of the person in trouble.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You know I really do hate it when someone makes a post like "I installed FreeNAS and it's not working. Please help." Drives me nuts! So a little control really would be a nice touch.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Another option.. when someone tries to create a new thread and has less than 100 posts, require it to be moderated. There's moderators on here often enough that we could reject posts that don't provide enough details.. etc.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am disappointed that this has been up for 22 hours and not a peep from admins...

Maybe this is a "here's your sign" message.

fracai

Guru
Aren't posts already moderated for the first few posts? 100 seems excessive.

Another solution would be just accepting that people don't read the manual. Constantly answering the same questions, however annoying, is better outreach than telling the noobs to not come back until they RTFM.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Aren't posts already moderated for the first few posts? 100 seems excessive.

Another solution would be just accepting that people don't read the manual. Constantly answering the same questions, however annoying, is better outreach than telling the noobs to not come back until they RTFM.

We had a moderation system that:

First moderated all posts that were 'questionable'. However, if you linked to another forum thread it the system would hold the post for moderation.

Next the system was modified to only apply the moderation system if the poster had less than 200 posts. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, it still moderated anyone as above.

Then, it was modified the system was changed to be less restrictive as to "what" would trigger it. However since people with over 1000 posts were being moderated about 50% of the time it didn't go well and some people got upset(myself included).

Finally, they turned the whole thing off and said "let's see how much spam we get". Fortunately, we've been fairly lucky that we aren't seeing advertisements, links to ****, warez, etc.

J

James

Hey, has anyone tried using the canned replies system we rolled out a week or so ago? Is this not good enough for you folk? I like the quiz idea to raise the bar of entry for users, is there a forum mod/hack that does this? By a show of hands, who is the moderator who banned a user for asking a question and told them to go RTFM? Is this how we treat new users? If so, how do you suppose we raise the bar of entry for moderators?

A

alfredperlstein

Call to action.

Hey, has anyone tried using the canned replies system we rolled out a week or so ago? Is this not good enough for you folk? I like the quiz idea to raise the bar of entry for users, is there a forum mod/hack that does this? By a show of hands, who is the moderator who banned a user for asking a question and told them to go RTFM? Is this how we treat new users? If so, how do you suppose we raise the bar of entry for moderators?

I agree with James.

I really believe that these are all good suggestions on everyone's part.

Can someone explain how the project will get this implemented?

It's great to discuss and do proposals, but now it's time to take action.

Who can do what?

-Alfred

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Alfred,

Nice to have you involved with FreeNAS, AND to get some official interaction/response :)

Since the moderators don't have any ability to make changes to the forums, I think we've been *trying* unsuccessfully to engage some Admins to help. I've PM the Admin of the IsanelyMac forums to find out how they implement it, I will post back the details.

Who can do what?

-Alfred

I hope this is a question for the Admins, the moderators have been chomping at the bit for quite awhile to get the tools we need to make this a more efficient and productive environment to help people, but we feel like no one is listening or cares.

cyberjock

Inactive Account

James,

I didn't even bother with the canned system. My problem is that the forum is being filled with constant repeated questions. We won't solve the problem by having canned responses. In fact, I'd argue we would make things worse if people started using it because searching for actual non-canned responses would quickly become difficult. The system would entice people to abandon their attempts to search when they get 50 threads that had a similar question and the same canned response for every single one. They'll just make another post, then get upset when I throw them the same canned response that they read 50 times from searching and want more information than the canned response provides. So now I've provided yet another canned response plus another post with details that they didn't(but possibly could have) search for. And I had to read that thread twice to boot.

I saw a forum that had a canned response system. The forum is now abandoned and gets about 5 new threads a week because all of the knowledgeable people left and there's over 7 pages of threads from the last 9 months with zero actual answers/solutions but lots of newbies asking "Where is everyone... is anyone out there? Does this forum even work?"

I think the canned response system, while perhaps well thought out, doesn't really work long term from my experience. And to be honest, I don't even bother trying to help people with searching anymore. As terrible as this is, I tell them to use the search feature(even though I won't use it). I used too, which is how we ended up with WTF is wrong with this forum's search feature when I knew something was wrong with my search terms back in January. If I don't put enough search terms I'll get about 500 other threads of complete garbage relating to the same small handful of issues and if I go too precise on my search terms I risk not finding the thread I'm actually looking for because it was excluded for not having a term I included in the search. By the way... I found the link above by looking at the threads I've started, not by using the search engine.

I do tell people to consult the manual more than 10 times a week, and if I weren't ignoring threads that are answered in the manual I could probably do it at least 5 times a day even on slow-news weekends. I don't do it as a punitive measure, but to get people to read the manual. The manual(in my opinion) is extremely well written and provides tons of useful information for people that have never used FreeBSD, Unix, or even Linux. I've been a Windows/DOS guy since DOS 5.0 and Windows 3.0. I read the FreeNAS manual cover-to-cover and I knew how to install and do basic things with FreeNAS before I even created a virtual machine. I did lots of forum searches for about 2 weeks while I tried to determine what problems I might encounter, then made the jump to trying FreeNAS on hardware. I had a few questions that I was a little vague on as I had never used FreeBSD. After about 4 months of posting in the forums and getting my system setup exactly how I wanted it I assembled my original questions/answers and other useful stuff into my vdev/zpool primer presentation. I have gotten raving comments back. I've had a few people create an account on the forums just to tell me thanks for the presentation(they told me they made the account just to thank me!)

I have only banned 1 person that I can think of. That was for foul language. I actually waited over a week expecting someone else(like an admin) would step in and explain that this behavior is completely unacceptable, but nobody did. Since the f-word was directed at me I really felt I shouldn't be handing out the ban-hammer and that an admin should have taken control and defended the forum rules. Nothing happened. After a week of no responses from anyone I banned him for 24 hours(only to make the point that we can and will ban if it continues), but I don't expect him to return either. He's been a bad egg since his first post.

The only other times I did any kind of "moderator-worthy" actions was deleting someone's IP from their post(it was an internet facing IP), and I closed a thread that had the exact same issue just 2 hours before. Not to mention their issue is mentioned in the manual and I mentioned that the manual had his answer along with providing the answer in my post. After I closed the thread it was promptly reopened by "admin" with the response "Thread re-opened as only SPAM threads should be closed." This is not consistent with tons of other threads that have been closed. Heck, even my "WTF is wrong with the search engine" thread was closed after the post made by James at the end that wasn't a spam thread. Consistency is absolutely needed in my opinion. To be honest, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a spam thread on this forum... ever. The best I could do was ignore that person.

I've ignored about 10 different people in the last 6 months. Unfortunately, curiosity get the best of me and I read the post anyway. What amazes me is that despite reading the ignored users I have yet to ever have a person I've ignored ever post a question that was truly thought provoking and new. It's almost as if your first post is a clear indication of how hard you try to answer your own questions before turning to the forum. Maybe what they say about "put your best foot forward when you are first intruduced" really had value in forums.

I agree with James.

I really believe that these are all good suggestions on everyone's part.

Who can do what?

-Alfred

First, thank you Alfred for visiting the forum. It is nice to know that my thread hasn't been ignored. I've heard from some of the more senior members that we go through cycles where the admins take in alot of input but do very little executing. Please prove me wrong so I can win a bet!

I don't know a thing about running a forum unfortunately. I was(and still am) a moderator on another IT based forum. I log in every few days just to see what my old forum pals are up to but I don't do much moderating. Their forum really doesn't require moderation since they have an approval system that requires you to read the forum rules. Then it asks you some questions from the forum rules and you have to get at least 80% for the account to be created. Another thing I really like about having a quiz-to-post is any one of those auto-posting-of-spam sites out there won't be able to pass the exam. It virtually requires a human to answer the questions, and they have to have more than a "I like to use youtube on my computer" knowledge.

What I would do if I were the supreme ruler of the forum:

1. Forum rules updated if/as approriate.
2. The forum rules consistently enforced by the admins/moderators.
3. Something done to prevent the excessive spam of repeat questions within hours of each other as happens pretty regularly. Be it temporary 24 hour bans and the thread removed, permanent bans, or a quiz-to-post system. Whatever it takes. I don't try to search because I know its an effort in futility.
4. Not be afraid to use a 24 or 48 hour ban for people that can't follow the forum rules. If "admin" or "James" don't want to peruse the threads daily(who would?) then at least make the moderators feel comfortable that they won't be circumvented later as I was. I haven't done much moderation because I feel that we enforce the rules when we want to and choose to overrule people without an explanation. I had 5 emails from forum friends asking what was going on with the thread being reopened. I had never seen a thread reopened except by a moderator that had very useful information to provide to the thread. I sent a PM to "admin" asking for clarification on why I was overruled in that situation. Several other people stopped posting waiting for a response from "admin". It's been a month as of tomorrow, and still no answer, clarification of the forum rules, changes to the forum rules, or otherwise. Honestly, I get the feeling that my PM was never read since no response was given. TONS of other threads have been closed for reasons other than spam, so why the sudden change in rules(if there even was rules for this)? Even threads since my thread was reopened have been closed and they weren't spam. Not that I'm disagreeing that the threads should have been left open, but this random shifts in how threads are handled needs to be examined more closely. Quite often threads are closed because a thread from 2011 is resurrected by a brand new poster with 1 post asking for help that is completely unrelated to the thread, sometimes the issue was only in a 2 year old beta version(and hence fixed), or sometimes its from FreeNAS .7 because they didn't see the forum rules that say FreeNAS .7 is not FreeNAS 8.x.
5. (This one I'm only somewhat vague on as this issue was before my time so if I'm off base please forgive me) Not plagiarize other people's websites/presentations. ProtoSD had some really nice guides on how to do permissions and other things that regularly caused problems for users. It was ultimately removed because people were plagiarizing his work and putting their name on it. Someone just yesterday asked if someone could email him a copy of the "unauthorized" presentation so he could get his permissions fixed. I like my presentation and I'm not sure how I'd feel if someone took my presentation and called it their own. I know the NAS4Free forum admins asked if they could link to my presentation because the explanation for vdev/zpools is so good even they found it useful.

I've expanded the presentation slightly to encompass the unruly regular new threads answered with "not enough RAM" "CPU is more than 10 years old. What do you expect" and "You can't fix that.. you have to delete the zpool and start over" and "your version is more than a year old.. consider upgrading to fix that issue". Unfortunately, I could probably bet money that within the last 3 days I have seen at least 1 new thread that could have been answered with one of those. I know the "not enough RAM" and "your version is more than a year old" have happened just today. I answered one and ignored the other. The real kicker... all of those answers are in my presentation and explained thoroughly and easily for new users. As each new FreeNAS version comes out I go back and update the presentation as necessary, so it will always be updated as long as I'm somewhat involved with the forum. Even if I abandoned it right now it would probably stand on its own for the forseeable future since it deals with the theory and not actually setting up FreeNAS.

6. (This is somewhat related to the forum) Up the number of PMs in the mailbox to 500 or something. When i get involved with PMs with some users its nice to have a big mailbox so you can go back and refer to old PMs. I can't imagine that PMs use that much processing power or disk storage.

7. Allow for bigger pictures to be posted. Anyone that posts a screenshot gets it shrunk down to <100kb which seems to always be thumbnail size. Even if its something like "keep big pictures for 90 days after the last posting of the thread" would be a major plus or a forum topic specifically allowing big pictures that are deleted by moderators after 30 days. A picture says 1000 words, but a 100kb says about 10 words max. :P

Personally, I check the forum at least 3 times a day consistently and I see virtually every post that gets made. Unfortunately, about 50% of the threads I can guess what the OP is having a problem with and how to fix it just by reading their title. To me, this is a sign that something is wrong. I still read the thread though, but I'm ignoring more and more threads because I just don't want to spend an hour with the same few answers. I like to see new thought provoking questions, see problems nobody has had and how to fix them, and see detailed responses to complex scenarios that some members create just so I'll know the answers next time.

I do cut extra slack regularly for people that clearly speak English as a second language or otherwise are outside the USA. I know it can be hard to get support for mainly-English software packages when you aren't physically in the USA or speak English as a second language.

I agree with protoSD in that the moderators have been chomping at the bit for this problem for a long time. Most of the old school moderators say this problem has been around longer than I've been in the forums. This is an issue that I don't think can be resolved just by using moderators(even more of them). We need some kind of basic filter to help filter the worthwhile posters from the people that have no clue, installed FreeNAS after hearing about it 10 minutes ago and are asking why its not 100% completely intuitive(where's the Start button on my console?) Yes, we have had many people ask when the GUI will load up on the server and that it must be frozen since its "stuck" at a text based menu.

Quick edit: I know the forum user "Holykiller" has some knowledge of forum setup. I'm not sure how extensive his knowledge is, or if he is interested in getting involved with this, but shortly after he started posting to my "What is wrong with the search engine" thread it was fixed. I assume James and Holykiller tag-teamed the issue and got it fixed. He did post to this thread, but had a sightly different take on how to help fix the forum. While I think the quiz-to-post is better, I definitely respect his idea and I'd be open to at least seeing it implemented to see if it is very effective as he has more forum admin experience than I.

A

alfredperlstein

Hi Alfred,

Nice to have you involved with FreeNAS, AND to get some official interaction/response :)

Since the moderators don't have any ability to make changes to the forums, I think we've been *trying* unsuccessfully to engage some Admins to help. I've PM the Admin of the IsanelyMac forums to find out what how they implement it. I will post back the details.

I hope this is a question for the Admins, the moderators have been chomping at the bit for quite awhile to get the tools we need to make this a more efficient and productive environment to help people, but we feel like no one is listening or cares.

Obviously people care, otherwise the team would not have brought this to my attention. The issue however is that as much as we want to be involved the moderators are going to have to decide if they want more of my attention towards development of FreeNAS features or if I need to be involved in the day to day issues on the forums. The recent amount of traffic is non-sustainable and is burning out others who just want to serve the user base.

What FreeNAS really needs is a community where people are proactive about solving problems and to that end I strongly encourage the moderator community to nominate several of their own members to which we can grant access to an sandbox version of the vB software for purposes of experimentation with modifications.

Please choose carefully whom you nominate and please read over the vB software site carefully to make sure you understand the level of skill needed to modify a vB instance before picking nominating someone. Note the use of php and database calls as well as the object oriented nature of the code.

Nominees will also need to be willing to sign NDAs and other legal documents before being given access to FreeNAS servers and software.

thank you,

Status
Not open for further replies.