How to use one Storage Device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jako6569

Cadet
I just installed FreeNAS on my pc. It all looks good and seems to work as intended. I have FreeNAS installed on my 500GB hard drive. However when trying to set up volumes I can't use the hard drive. When choosing between storage devices my 500GB hard drive doesn't pop up. Why is this? Is it because I need to partition it. And if that's the case. How do ii do it?
I have tried connecting a flash drive, and it pops up as a storage device. However it is only 8GB and i would really like to use the 500GB I already have on the hdd.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

Eniqmatic

Explorer
I would highly suggest you go and read the manual properly. There are many good stickies on this forum too. That way you can get the information on how to do a proper setup and install.

Regardless, FreeNAS has to be installed on a separate device to your storage. Re-install on the flash drive and you will be able to use the HDD.

Last edited:

tvsjr

Guru
And a single drive kinda defeats the entire purpose of FreeNAS... and I suspect the rest of your hardware isn't up to spec either...

In short, you're headed down a painful path.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Use your USB stick as a boot device, then the 500G drive can be used for storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.