SOLVED Dashboard Page is Blank

alink

Cadet
Hey everybody,
I want to begin by saying I just started experimenting with FreeNAS a week or so ago and I’m having lots of fun learning how to use it. So as you’d expect I am experiencing a learning curve and have run into a few issues that I’ve been able to solve by searching the web, but I’ve finally encountered something I can’t find a straightforward answer for.

In any case, here’s my hardware config with question to follow:
RAM: 7633 MiB
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H
(Note regarding the drives: Not all are being used at the same time as I am experimenting with different configs, more on that later in the post.)
Drives:
-Intel X25-M 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (Boot Device running FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2)
-3TB WD30EFRX
-500GB WD5000BEVT
-500GB Seagate Laptop Thin ST500LM021

So, my question has to do with the Dashboard graphs not appearing, and by not appearing, I mean the Dashboard page is completely blank. I’ve found a few posts here and there saying to run a software update, and it has worked for some people, but my dilemma is that I’ve been on the latest update this entire time.
Which at the time of making this post is FreeNAS-11.3-U3.2

Now, here’s what I’ve noticed, and I’ll try to explain my testing as concisely as I can, so I appreciate your patience.

When I initially set up the system, I installed it on the 120GB SSD.
Then I created my first storage pool on a 3TB hard drive, so there’s only 1 physical drive in the vdev.
I then wanted to play around with other pool types like a mirrored and striped configuration.
I only have 3 SATA power cables on my power supply, so I can only have a max of 2 drives for a pool.
So, in order to experiment with the strip/mirror config, I removed the 3TB drive and then plugged in two 500GB drives. After some trial and error, I figured out how to stripe and mirror them, but the removal of the original 3TB drive is when the Dashboard stopped working.
I figured, maybe the problem is that since there is no pool, there is nothing for the system to report? So I tested both a stripe and a mirror on the two 500GB drives thinking it would come back, but it didn’t.

Now, before I did this particular experiment, I did run into this issue on and off when unplugging and plugging in drives (in between shutdowns of course, not hot swapping) but whenever I plugged in the 3TB drive from the initial set up, the dashboard would reappear.
However, now I just plugged the 3 TB drive back in after experimenting with the stripe/mirror configuration and the dashboard is still blank.

Hopefully that makes sense and wasn’t too wordy.
I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Damianos

iXsystems
iXsystems
Next time you get the blank dashboard, could you share a screenshot of the browser's javascript console?

alink

Cadet
JS Console Error.JPG

pschatz100

Guru
Why is the dashboard so narrow? What happens when you make it wider?
The Dashboard should show something whether or not there are any drives attached. Try clearing the cache in the browser you are using.

If it happened when you removed the disks, you might want to check all your cables and connections. It's easy to bump something loose.

Good luck.

alink

Cadet
Why is the dashboard so narrow? What happens when you make it wider?
The Dashboard should show something whether or not there are any drives attached. Try clearing the cache in the browser you are using.

If it happened when you removed the disks, you might want to check all your cables and connections. It's easy to bump something loose.

Good luck.
Damianos requested that i show a screenshot of the javascript console. That's why it's narrow, because the right side of the screen is displaying the console. Also, I've logged into the browser UI from different devices, so I doubt clearing the cache will do anything. I'll try inspecting cable connections as you suggest, but assuming it's not related to that, what would be another possible issue?
I'm starting to think i'll just have to wipe the boot drive and reinstall a fresh copy of FreeNAS.

ad31677

Cadet
Hi.
I know this is an old thread but I had this issue yesterday on my system with TrueNAS-12.0-U3 after re-organising my network connections due to a substantial configuration issue with my switch. I moved from having a LAGG as a VLAN trunk to two separate LAGGs, one each for the remaining VLANs I use for my TrueNAS 12 server.

I had to do this via /etc/netcli on the console and doing so broke the dashboard. Although I removed VLANs and LAGs using the console and removed the interfaces added to them too, the VLANs didn't disappear in the web UI until I went to network -> interfaces and deleted them there as well. That fixed it for me.

(I had noted in the thread suggested by pschatz100 about disk encryption set up, and that resestting the config resolves the issue until you restore config from a backup so I left that, and dug down into the network configuration and interface information in the UI..)

torbww

Cadet
After upgrading from Freenas to TrueNAS-12.0-U7, the graphs in reports stopped working. How to restore work?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Is SMART running in Services?

mgoulet65

Explorer
I am suddenly getting this blank dashboard behavior as well. Attached is my browser console output. I don't know how to diagnose it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Capture.JPG

mgoulet65

Explorer
I am suddenly getting this blank dashboard behavior as well. Attached is my browser console output. I don't know how to diagnose it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

View attachment 60522
Very odd. I had a LAGG/LACP interface (part of a bond/bridge) that was not tx/rx-ing (bad cable). When I replaced it the Dashboard came back! Shoudl this be considered a bug iX should look at?