New FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrysis

Dabbler
Hey everyone,

Just working on my first FreeNAS build and I am running into a minor issue. I believe I know the solution, however, I just wanted to bounce this off anyone who is able to provide any insight in the event I am missing something.

-System-
Motherboard: ASUS Z9PA-U8
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.0 GHz
RAM: x2 Kingston 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-10-E2
Hard Drives: x1 500GB, x11 3TB
PCI: x2 RocketRAID 2720 PCI-Express II to SAS II Host Adapter

Currently, all twelve drives are connected to the RocketRAID cards. FreeNAS 9.10.1 has been installed on the 500GB drive, however, I am unable to boot to it as the system boots to the RocketRAID card setup utility. I believe if I either remove the 500GB HD from the RocketRAID card and/or install FreeNAS onto a USB flashdrive, this will resolve my issue.

Thoughts?

regards,

Chrysis

nojohnny101

Wizard
That should be a bios setting no? I'm not terribly familiar with the RocketRAID cards but they are setup as HBAs correct?

You should be able to boot to the 500gb drive if freenas is installed properly so long as it is set as the first priority boot device in bios.

melloa

Wizard
Couple more ideas:

- Connect the boot HD to your motherboard sata port and change the bios to boot from it (Ops ... not a couple, only one idea :) )

chrysis

Dabbler
That should be a bios setting no? I'm not terribly familiar with the RocketRAID cards but they are setup as HBAs correct?

You should be able to boot to the 500gb drive if freenas is installed properly so long as it is set as the first priority boot device in bios.
Well as far as boot priority is concerned, the bios only see's the RocketRAID card, so I believe that is my issue as the 500GB drive is plugged into the hot-swap bays which are connected to the cards.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

gpsguy

Status
Not open for further replies.