How to use Freenas as server for duplicity backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithg

Explorer
I have a freenas 9.3 server. I also have 4 users with identical UIDs on the freenas and all Linux clients. I am using nfsv4 and am mounting a folder as the backup folder for each client. I can do a 'first backup' and it all works with an empty directry. When I try to run duplicity again to do an incremental backup, I get permission errors as the user running duplicity is 1002 and the folder and all files are nobody:nogroup. Duplicity tried to read the file and gets errors or tries to write and gets errors.

I am guessing I am not doing this correctly. How is one supposed to do this so that the folder is mounted via nfsv4 and allow the automatic backup to run?

When I run it the second time I get:
Permission denied when trying to create ‘/duplicity-inc.20150627T085244Z.to.20150713T012310Z.vol1.difftar.gz​

Any help appreciated.

Keith

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
One approach with NFS is to set the Mapall User and Mapall Group for the share to match the ownership of the dataset you're sharing.

keithg

Explorer
And... last night I figured out what was wrong. The folder on the nas did not have 'w' permissions for anything other than owner... I fixed that, remounted it and now it will create backups. Permissions are a headache to get right.

Sorry for the interruption.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.