[How-to] USB passthrough in phpVirtualBox jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

meku

Dabbler
I've been playing around with VirtualBox in 9.3 and decided to get a USB device working in a VirtualBox guest. There doesn't appear to be comprehensive guide to getting USB passthrough working so I've decided to share this guide.

This how-to demonstrates using a USB Printer but this may work for other USB devices.

Note: I assume you already know how to use the shell and basic jail commands such as jls and jexec.

With your vbox jail running open a shell to your vbox jail and edit (or create) /etc/rc.local
Code:
chmod -R 0770 /dev/usb*
chmod -R 0770 /dev/ugen*
chmod -R 0770 /dev/unlpt*
chmod -R 0770 /dev/ulpt*
chown -R :vbox /dev/ugen*
chown -R :vbox /dev/usb*
chown -R :vbox /dev/unlpt*
chown -R :vbox /dev/ulpt*

This brute force method simply makes all your current USB devices and printers accessable to the VirtualBox user. You may test this by restarting your vbox jail - after startup these paths should be owned by the 'vbox' group and group writable.

After doing this you can open up the phpVirtualBox web console and open the settings on any guest machine that you wish to test USB on.
Open Settings -> USB and Enable USB Controller. Don't enable USB 2.0 - it doesn't appear to work currently.
In USB Device Filters click the [+] and the drop-down list should show your connected USB devices and allow you to add any device to this guest - if the list is empty then something may be wrong with the permissions you set previously. Start your guest, the selected USB Device Filters should now be accessible from within the guest machine.

Now this is all fine for USB devices that remain connected and powered on, but what about devices that are attached or powered on after the vbox jail has started? For this we need to use devd.

USB attach detection
These following instructions were inspired by the (now defunct) nas4free USB-passthrough instructions.

All these commands are run in the FreeNAS root shell, outside of any jails.

List the USB devices
Code:
# usbconfig

ugen0.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB Intel> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <product 0x8008 vendor 0x8087> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.2: <product 0x8000 vendor 0x8087> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen1.4: <HL-2140 series Brother> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)

In this example we are going to add detection for this HL-2140 printer connected to ugen1.4
Code:
# usbconfig -d ugen1.4 dump_device_desc

ugen1.4: <HL-2140 series Brother> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (2mA)

bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x04f9
  idProduct = 0x0033
  bcdDevice = 0x0100
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Brother>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <HL-2140 series>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <L8J158092>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

Take note of idVendor and idProduct above.

Make the FreeNAS boot device writable so we can update the config files
Code:
# mount -uw /

Create the following config file with your choice of filename, for example 'usbprinter.conf'. Put in your own codes you got for idVendor and idProduct above.
Code:
# vi /conf/base/etc/devd/usbprinter.conf

attach 101 {
# USB Printer HL-2140
match "vendor" "0x04f9";
match "product" "0x0033";
action "/usr/local/bin/warden chroot virtualbox '/bin/chmod 0770 /dev/usb/'$port'.'$devaddr'.*' && /usr/local/bin/warden chroot virtualbox '/usr/sbin/chown :vbox /dev/usb/'$port'.'$devaddr'.*'";
};

This will chroot into your jail named 'virtualbox' and modify the USB device permissions any time this specific device is plugged in.

Clean up by mounting the boot device read-only again
Code:
# mount -ur /

You can test this without rebooting FreeNAS by copying the config to the live system and restarting devd:
Code:
# cp /conf/base/etc/devd/usbprinter.conf /etc/devd/
# /etc/rc.d/devd restart

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hello,

i have tried to follow your guide to get work my CD Rom in my Windows 10 guest. The CD Rom appears in the device filter of the virtual box. But in the device manager of the guest i got an error:

Device can not be started (Error 10)

Any idea to solve this?

Thanks in advance!
Arga

meku

Dabbler
Hello,

i have tried to follow your guide to get work my CD Rom in my Windows 10 guest. The CD Rom appears in the device filter of the virtual box. But in the device manager of the guest i got an error:

Device can not be started (Error 10)

Any idea to solve this?

Thanks in advance!
Arga

Check which device name it is using with usbconfig and grant permissions to the vbox user as I did in the first post. I don't have any similar USB devices so I can only guess.

ArgaWoW

Patron
Hi,

i have checked again. Now i got the error 43 in the device manager:

any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.